Syncing UITabBarController selected item state inside of webwrapper -- highlight tab item after webViewBack

I am trying to sync up the selected tab bar item once a user presses back and navigates back in the web wrapper iOS app.

Here is how the app works: When a user logs in, they are presented with the Home Screen. To navigate, the select a tab item on the tab bar. This tells webkit to redirect to that URL and then that webpage is shown in the app (wrapped). A back button also appears. When a user presses the back button, the webView.goBack() method sends the user back on in the webView.backForwardList. What happens then is that the user is now on the previous page, however the tab bar has not updated. In other words, the user is back on the first tab but the second tab is highlighted.

I tried fixing this by telling the tab bar controller what item to select, however this creates a state malfunction because it also tells the webView to navigate to that url again, so in fact this means that the user isn't going back through web history, but actually is going forward while simulating going back.

I need to be able to highlight the tab bar items that sync up with the page that we have gone back to without selecting it. Does anyone have an idea for how to manually highlight or select a tab bar item without actually navigating to that tab bar item?

Thank you!