Packaging Process

I’m new to Mac packaging, and am confused by the multi-part signing and packaging process.

I have built an app, using third party software, that I would like to upload to the Mac store for trial/testing purposes.

I have joined the Apple Developers Programme, but am unsure whether I need to invest in third-party certification (e.g. Verisign) or can self-certify my app package.

I would be obliged if someone would outline the sequence of steps that I need to follow to create a package that can be offered to users, and confirm whether my AD License is sufficient for me to follow same.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

L

Replies

With membership in the Apple developer program, Xcode can create any necessary signing certificates for you. You mentioned the Mac store, but you used the Notarization tag, and you need to understand that those are two separate alternatives. So your first decision is whether you will distribute your software on the Mac App Store or on some other web site. Start here: https://developer.apple.com/macos/distribution/

What JWWalker said plus…

whether I need to invest in third-party certification (e.g. Verisign)

Don’t go down that path. I realise it’s common on other platforms, but it’s not going to get you where you want to be on macOS.

Rather, your Apple Developer Program membership allows you to create the necessary signing credentials.

When it comes to the details of how you actually sign and package macOS code outside of Xcode, check out:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"