Xcode Signing and Capabilities

I'm currently befuddled by the entire signing and certificate process. I don't understand what I need, what the team admin needs to do, or how to go about doing it so that I can build the project.

We've managed to have this working in the past but I guess the system has changed somewhat. Here's what we have going:

A Unity project which hasn't changed from a few years ago. I build the project in unity, open the Xcode project and this:

There's an issue with the Signing and Capabilities.

If I choose automatic setup it shows an error saying that it requires a development team. I had the account admin add my Apple ID to the team so I'm not sure why that's an issue still. Do I need to pay the 99$ to be able to building Xcode?

If I try to do it manually I select the provisioning profile that the account admin sent me and it auto selects the team associated with the provisioning profile I guess but then there's no singing certificate. The error says:

There is no signing certificate "iOS Development" found. No "iOS Development" signing certificate matching team ID "V7D5YBZRMV" with a private key was found.

So, if someone could explain to me like I'm 5 the entire signing and certificate process is and let me know what we're doing wrong with the team/provisioning profile/certificate setup I would be very much appreciative.

Replies

The short answer here is that Xcode’s automatic code signing handles most code signing issues these days, and I generally recommend it for folks starting out.

If I choose automatic setup

Cool. That’s the best first step.

it shows an error saying that it requires a development team. I had the account admin add my Apple ID to the team so I'm not sure why that's an issue still.

Is this an Individual team? Or an Organization team?

The most common cause for problems like this is that the target team is an Individual team. This works for App Store Connect but not for the Apple Developer Program. See the note at the top of the Permissions in App Store Connect section of Developer > Program Roles.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Okay, I see that there's a difference between the two but this doesn't explain how the process works. If I am a member of someone's development team, what needs to be done so that I can build the app in Xcode in terms of signing/certificates/capabilities?

Add a Comment

back soon

If I am a member of someone's development team, what needs to be done so that I can build the app in Xcode in terms of signing/certificates/capabilities?

The process is different depending on whether it’s an Organization or Individual team:

• If it’s an Organization team, have the team Admin add you to the team as an Admin, App Manager, or Developer [1]. Then, the team should show up in Xcode > Settings > Accounts > YOUR_APPLE_ID > Team, and automatic signing works from there.

• If it’s an Individual team, the team owner can’t add you as a developer. The path forward is for them to convert their team to an Organization team. See Can I switch my membership from an individual to an organization? on Developer > Support > Account Management.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] Or Account Holder. See Developer > Support > Articles > Program Roles.