Notes App Self Scrolls

I just filed a bug report for the Notes app as follows:

Area: Notes

Summary: When opening Notes with content that is larger than the open Notes App window, and attempting to edit the note, the entire note content scrolls automatically to the top although the cursor remains where text editing was inserted. Typing on the Smart Keyboard will allow text entry however the note insistently keeps scrolling to the top regardless of how often or how much text is entered into the note. Scrolling the note manually with your touch will stop the action from occurring, however that is intermittent and sometimes will scroll automatically as well. This issue will occur on both iPad and iPhone and regardless of the app is used full screen on the iPad or in Split Screen. When the Notes window is not focused and the user is engaging an app in the other split screen window, the Note window does not scroll, only when it is the focused App.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open Notes

2. Begin to edit the note by scrolling down and selecting text or placing your cursor to enter text.

3. More likely to happen with a note which has enough text to enable scrolling of the note.

Expected Results: The note body of text should not scroll while editing or entering text and should remain where placed either by scrolling to the place of entry with using touch or with moving the cursor with the direction keys of the Smart Keyboard.

Actual Results: The note scrolls on its own without intervention.

Version: IOS Beta 10.0(14A5261v)

Configuration: iPad Pro 12.9" and iPhone 6S both with iOS beta 10.0

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of AbblePC Down vote post of AbblePC
18k views
  • Similar thing happens in Big Sur 11.1 when typing in notes and using the backspace button.

• Is there an alternative app to Apple Notes? I give up…

Add a Comment

Replies

I just tested this again with the newly released DP Beta 2 for iOS 10 and it is still scrolling to the top of the page while attempting to edit or add text to any note in the notes app.

Also still no response to my filed bug report as of 2 weeks ago and still nothing today.

• irs 2022 and this is STILL ******* HAPPENING! ******* HELL APPLE FIX THIS PROBLEM THE NOTES APP IS UNUSABLE.

FUUUUUCCCCKKKKMM

DISGRACEFUL THIS COULD BE A GREAT APP FIX RHE SCROLLING ISSUE FFS!!!

Add a Comment

Same problem, iOS 10 beta1 & beta2 Glue found: looks like it happens only if the note created on iOS 10 device. If the note created on Mac (10.11.5) and then synced via iCloud - it works correctly

And i guess Apple does not give a sh..t b/c 4 years later no more responses here, and the issue still exists...
Oh, my god...
the issue exists for more than 5 years!!!
Hi,

I am seeing similar issue. It is affecting my usability of a pdf with notes app along with Apple Pencil. As soon as I start underlining the entire scroll goes haywire. Is there a way to disable the scroll bar ?

Thanks,
Kunal

crap .....the issue is still there , no one cares, what a shame!!!!!!!

I bought my iPad Pro only to use for notes with the pencil and this problem drives me crazy, did I waste a fortune on the iPad... Apple it is time to fix this!

Have the same annoying issue. Please fix it.

Apple, where are you on this? Nothing else does this, so it shouldn’t be hard to fix. It’s obviously hard to type when you can’t see the part of the document where you are typing.

THIS IS STILL HAPPENING

I am on ios15.1.1 on an iphone 13!!!!

I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry at this point, Apple truly does not care for its customer base. 5 years for a bug that should take no effort to resolve.

Apple: A Constant Disappointment

Nearly 2022, ios 15.1.1, iphone 13 Pro. Issue still exist. what a joke.

when switching from plain view to keyboard view (when clicking in the text) and trying to scroll, it will teleport you elsewhere because the scrollbar is not the same height depending of the view.

how are these issues still here? Let’s all contact them here : https://www.apple.com/feedback/

• It is April 2022. I’m on iPhone 13, ios 15.4.1 and it’s still a problem!

Add a Comment

If you scroll to the very top and clear the “tip” (I had one about using tags) then scrolling starts working again.

Seems like their new user tips has some bugs.

• I have no “tip”. It is April 2022. I’m on iPhone 13, ios 15.4.1 

Add a Comment

I am also having this issue on my 2018 MacBook pro macOS Big Sir 11.2

When I type a decent amount of text into the note app and then click the backspace button, the note will automatically start scrolling up/down. It makes it nearly impossible to type. It is super frustrating and happens every time I use the notes app.

We are now June 16, 2022 and issue is not resolved. 2 things: 1- The developer assigned to this issue has been fired for incompetence and we don’t even know. 2- Note to myself: Never hire Apple on the Mars Mission project. We were able to go to the moon in 1969, but apparently, Apple is not able to fix a bug as simple as a page scrolling back up by itself!! Hum!

• July 9,2022. Issue persists. Selecting an insert point to edit a long note causes self scrolling wildly up the page and to somewhere else seemingly random in the note. Doesn’t happen all the time. Happens half the time. Does anyone know a good simple notes application with text formatting that will synch between ios devices and mac os that doesn’t have this infuriating issue? Half my life is organized in notes and this has become a daily headache for a year now.

Add a Comment

I can corroborate that this bug has persisted for many years across multiple iOS upgrades and iPad/iPhone hardware configurations.

We use Apple Notes extensively in our company and everyone complains about this jittery, erratic scrolling behavior.

It seems to have gotten worse in the past year or two.

we aren’t embedding graphics or anything fancy in the notes, just text and bullet point lists.