Parallels 15 (Mac): Updating macOS Catalina Beta to Big Sur Beta

When I select the main disk to install to, I get the error message: "The operation couldn't be completed. (BIErrorDomain error 3.)"

Has anyone else experienced this? I wanted to try out the Big Sur beta, but didn't want to risk rendering my daily MBP unusable.

Thanks!

Accepted Reply

@paulr9773, I installed from a DMG. Once you have the Big Sur installer, you can create a DMG as follows:

Code Block
cd ~/Downloads/
sudo hdiutil create -o InstallMedia -size 20G -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J -type SPARSE
sudo hdiutil attach InstallMedia.sparseimage -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
sudo /path/to/install.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/install_build
# The next step might fail. If so, manually eject using finder.
sudo hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ */
sudo hdiutil convert InstallMedia.sparseimage -format UDZO -o InstallMedia.dmg
sudo rm InstallMedia.sparseimage

In VMWare, create a new VM and customise, setting the hard drive to at least 60GB. Boot from the install DMG and run disk utility. Select the hard drive and erase as AFPS, then the drive should go from 40GB capacity to 60GB. Then quit disk utility and install.

Replies

I get the same error and none of the suggested fixes have worked for me so far.
I also found this here and it did NOT fix my issue.
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/649774

I was able to get past the "BIErrorDomain error 3" issue in Parallels as follows:

On a real, supported Mac, run this command in Terminal:
Code Block
ioreg -l | grep board-id

2. Make a note of the board ID (mine is Mac-551B86E5744E2388, for example)
3. Run this command in Terminal:
Code Block
sysctl hw.model

4. Make a note of the hardware model (mine is MacBookPro14,3)
5. In the VM configuration, under Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced Settings -> Boot flags, enter the following (inserting the information noted above where shown):
Code Block
devices.machwmodel="<model>"
devices.smbios.board_id="<board ID>"

That should be enough to allow the installer to proceed.
I encountered the same problem installing it to an external disk.
However after reformatting the drive in APFS the install hummed on along nicely (It was in Mac Filesystem before)
Hope this helps.
I've found that installing Parallels Tools results in the Big Sur VM hanging at boot, so you might want to avoid doing that (or at least create a snapshot before trying it).
I downloaded the profile on my Parallels VM and installed the profile. And I don't see anything on how to download the software. Am I missing a step here?
Create a DMG file (as described above in prior post).

Install DMG into VMWare Fusion (Sorry M$ folks).

...open in Parallels. Finished.

(Yes, it requires that you have both Fusion and Parallels, but it was the only sane fairly 'simple' work-around I had).

You can get a trial of fusion for free if that helps: www(dot)vmware.com/products/personal-desktop-virtualization.html

Thanks @danfry, worked great!!
@danfry Thank you. Save me a day.
Using the steps above, I'm able to install a fresh copy of Big Sur using Parallels 15. However I'm not able to login with the user that I created. I get the same login issue if I upgrade a vm from Catalina as well. I enter my password, login, the system spins for a little while, the screen goes black and then it is back to the login prompt. If I enter a bad password it tells me. This only happens with a good password. Is anyone else able to get past the login prompt?
I’m getting occasional WindowServer crashes - perhaps that is what is taking you back to the login prompt?
@danfry Thanks! This worked for me too! I just wanted to add for others trying when you enter the boot flags remove the arrows that were shown in the OP. I have made them bold below. It took me a couple of tries to figure this out.

devices.machwmodel="<model>"
"devices.smbios.board_id="<board ID>"
I had the "(BIErrorDomain error 3.)" and I could fix it using @danfry solution.
Now, I'm stuck at he login screen, just as @Samus22.
  • I upgraded from a Catalina VM.

• Added the model and board boot options.

• I needed to remove Parallels tools.

• Increased the HD from the 64gb default to 128 gb.

I am seeing a crash in the WindowServer process. I can get it to happen every time when I click on the menubar (which is empty for me...i.e. no clock or any other icons). I have logged it as a feedback issue (FB7760353). If anyone is having problems where they keep getting thrown back to the login screen, you may want to check in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and see if you have any WindowServer crashes.
I have black screen on load right after installing Big Sur Beta. Any ideas on how to resolve it?
I was able to install Big Sur on a VM in Parallels. I did not install the Parallels Tools as it was not bringing the VM up during my previous install. So I did left out the Parallels tools. Now Big Sur would not log me in. I enter the password and the screen goes black and brings me back to the login. Any ideas to resolve this would be helpful.