Errors occurred in the app thinning process

Hello,
Me and my team is currently having problems with a tvOS app we are trying to submit for review. Every time we upload a binary to App Store Connect we get back the following mail

While processing your tvOS app, errors occurred in the app thinning process, and your app couldn’t be thinned. If your app contains bitcode, bitcode processing may have failed. Because of these errors, this build of your app will not be able to be submitted for review or placed on the App Store. For information that may help resolve this issue, see Tech Note 2432.
Best regards,
The App Store Team

We have tried to follow the troubleshooting proposed in the Tech Note 2432 and exporting for Ad Hoc worked only when using Xcode 11.6 and not Xcode 12, and nothing else we tried with Xcode 12 worked.

All of this leads me to believe that there is something on apple side that might cause problems with the binary uploaded.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Replies

We are facing the same issue. If anyone has more information or a workaround, please post it :(
We're also facing the same issue on Xcode 11.7, but with an iOS and watchOS app.
Exporting via adhoc works fine, with no errors, but when submitted to Apple, it gets stuck and we get that same email.

I've also tried removing the watchOS app and submitting just the iOS one alone but it's the same result.

I've tossed an email to them but have received no response thus far.
Anybody had any resolutions for this? we've been getting this since November and it's still happening.
Archiving locally works so not sure what it can be.
We're using Xcode 12.3.
If you export the archive using the Development distribution option, and select the option to recompile bitcode, do you encounter an error? Generally, following up with Developer Technical Support in these scenarios is a good idea, so that we can review the error logs from the above process, in addition to getting information about the specific build you're trying to submit.

We are having the same issue sadly. What we have tried:

• Clean build including removing all pods
  • Delete Xcode derived data
  • Archive using Xcode 13.4.1 and Xcode 14
  • Uploaded multiple builds over multiple days
  • Distributed the archives via the "Ad Hoc" option, having all thinning options enabled as well as enabling them individually. The exported ipa can be installed on a physical phone without issue

We have now reached out to Apple support (case 101802904092) which so far has been slow and only pointed us to general doc on the app thinning process.

This issue is extremely hard to debug without a proper error message. Again, there are zero indications to any issue locally. We only receive the automated error message from appstoreconnect:

"While processing your iOS app, ............, errors occurred in the app thinning process, and your app couldn’t be thinned. If your app contains bitcode, bitcode processing may have failed. Because of these errors, this build of your app will not be able to be submitted for review or placed on the App Store. For information that may help resolve this issue, see Tech Note 2432."

Does anyone have any tips for what else we could try?

• We encountered the same problem, and we tried the above methods and did not work

• I have followed the instructions you have given. and really fix it, thanks

Add a Comment

Hello all, Were any of you able to figure this out I am facing the same issue!

I'm having same issue when converting a kivy application to iOS.

When I try to distribute via the "Ad Hoc" option, it pops up with this error before I can select anything.

"The operation couldn’t be completed. (AppThinning.StubError error 1.)"

if I submit it through App Store connect, it uploads, but 10 minutes later or so I get the email mentioned above

Is anyone able to solve this issue, getting same issue on Xcode 14.2. "The operation couldn’t be completed. (AppThinning.StubError error 1.)" It's annoying as with same code I am able to archive from different machine.