Other Storage Taking Too Much Space

Hi Dev Team,

I don’t see many answers on this topic but this seems to be a real concern for many users.

I went from my IPhone 8+ with 256gb and I had 39gb used, about 7gb was other storage no big deal. I decided to go with an iPhone 12 Pro Max 128gb. I now have 60gb used of which 26gb is other storage!!! I have done 3 clean installs from different iCloud backups and no change. I do not buy an iPhone to see half of my storage being used by other and system storage.
Also I do not explain why I now see some gb with photos and messages as it is normally all stored on iCloud (I have 2.2tb). Same thing I do not subscribe to iCloud or AppleOne to have data store on my iPhone while it should be all on iCloud.
I did not have this on my 8+. I called Apple but they were clueless...simply telling me that it is normal and that it may take a few days for things to get back to normal...it is not true.
is that a bug? My iPhone flash memory corrupted?Will this be taken into consideration?
Anyone else having this issue please post.

Thanks much!
X
  • I am having the same problem. I don't understand the “system data” took 60.85 GB In my iPhone. Total GB I HAVE 128

I AM LITERALLY LEFT WITH NOTHING.

If anyone finds a solution, share it with me

• Same problem here, and just got off chatting with the useless Apple chat support executives. Idiots wasted my time and just suggested to do factory reset followed by backup!! On my iphone, it happened because I was trying to send large files by maildrop. I was trying to send 500+ pics/videos, having size of about 3.5 GB using email/mail drop. I tried 3-4 times, and Every time the process failed it kept keeping that much space blocked!! So after 3 attempts I got left with 0 space and about 13 GB of data showing in “Other System Data”! And that, after I deleted so many apps, files, to make way for more space!! Basically, Apple keeps storing the deleted file in cache, and doesn’t even allow us to delete those!! Btw, I already tried the usual suggestions, and they all fail- clearing safari cache, disconnecting mail accounts, etc etc. Nothing works, and I don’t want to go for Facroey reset. What a ****** situation!

• I was in the same situation but I found out that restarting your phone helps reduce the amount of storage taken up by the system data. To restart your phone you need to go to settings and when you get to setting scroll and press general. Then scroll again and you will see an option that says ‘shut down’ in blue. Click that and your phone will restart. This doesn’t get rid of any of the data on your phone just the stuff that isn’t needed. Your phone will go black (how it looks when it is turned off) then hold on the power button until you see the apple logo on your screen. Now wait for your phone to fully turn on and check if it helped

Accepted Reply

Side note if this can help. This is getting worse as soon as I disconnect from iCloud and reconnect. I wanted to try this to see if it help. But after doing it twice within 2 days, once I reconnect the other storage is going dramatically up. I was at 25gb of other storage. Juste disconnect ans reconnected I am at 40gb of other storage. Time ans leaving the iPhone plugged in does seem to help! Please help!
  • Same thing happened to me

• This site help me a lot ---------> [https://not.justsolutionsproducts.com/how-to-fix-other-storage-taking-too-much-space-easily/)

• I’m having some serious issues. I barely have any apps on. My phone. When I tried to do a software update I couldn’t because the system data was taking up 25 gigs somehow. Idk how tf that is even possible. Anyone know why and how to fix please your help would be very appreciated thankyou

Replies

I had a similar problem. 70 gb of system data. It happened after I changed the music quality from lossless to hires. Then the existing music in lossless was replaced by high res data and I got the problem with system data. What solved it for me, was I logged out of apple music and deleted the apple music app. The system data slowly faded. Hope this can help someone.

Hi,

I think it's done intentionally in order to buy new iPhones.

I had iOS 14.x, 32 GB of space, half(!) was occupied by iOS + Others. I've reset iPhone completely after resetting iOS occupied 7Gb, and Others 0Kb. Now after 1 month, Others occupy 6 GB.

Apple, how to clear this space!?

Over the course of many years, devices and iOS systems this has remained a constant problem. At this point in time it is beyond a known problem and should have been addressed long ago. If we all banded together, we would have a very good case for a class action lawsuit. There is absolutely no reason why Apple should be stopping their consumer from accessing the system data in their products. In fact, the supreme court has always ready addressed similar issues in the agricultural industry. There’s enough case precedent and more than enough consumers to have a class action suit to get this matter resolved.

• I'm in! 202GB "Other storage"

Add a Comment

Here the problem disappeared after fiddling with the siri settings in each app.

Mines is the same, its mainly my apps thats the most out of it and also system data and IOS? ^ this is the photo and also i try not to have a lot of photos & videos but im a person who has a account on tiktok and edits so downloading scenepacks, screen recordings and my editing app so annoying and i love to go to concerts/tours too and have memories!

You're not alone. Here's why it happens and what to do:

Cause: System files, caches & incomplete iCloud sync can eat up space. Fix: Restart, offload apps, check iCloud settings, update iOS (if needed). Last Resort: Backup & restore as new (erase all content first!).