roll back an app

Hey all,

Ran into a bit of a problem:
It appears that somewhere between testing and deployment, the behavior on an underlying library we are using on our application changed; we'd built the app logic around one set of behavior of the library - and that worked smoothly - but under the new library behavior the app logic causes it to fail badly.

What I'd like to do is just roll back the app to the prior version. That's the quick fix to give us a bit of time to update the app to the new logic (which we can do in about an hour or so, but the approval process takes a while).

Does anyone know how I would go about rolling it back without deploying a fully new version that requires approval?

Thanks,

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JoshCollins Down vote post of JoshCollins
33k views

Replies

The store doesn't offer that feature. You have to submit a new binary with a higher version number and go through review again. It can contain all the same code as some old version, but the version number must be different.

• Is this still the case? If so, does anyone know why?

• Seems like this is still the case, as I can't find anywhere that you can rollback to a previous version. Seems very odd to me, also very curious why Apple doesn't provide this for developers.

• Still so, coz lazy DAs be wallowing in complacence. No wonder peeps getting fired left right and center

Add a Comment

I can’t think of two reasons for Apple to have chosen this approach

• The user expects an upgrade whenever a new version of an app is released.
  • Not being able to roll back raises the bar for the developer to ensure a functioning app.

imagine a button in App Store Connect to instantly roll back the version. This will both relax the incentive for the developer to test rigourously, and increase the hassle for users to reinstall the app whenever a version does not function correctly. It has to be such kind of choices at Apple, since a roll back feature is obviously not technically difficult to implement.

Add a Comment