missing com.apple.developer.family-controls / Missing Family Controls from provisioning profile

With "Automatically Manage Signing" enabled in Signing & Capabilities I got a message when uploading to the App Store complaining that my provisioning profile was missing Family Control capabilities.

• I do have the capability enabled in XCode, and I can deploy directly to devices to see that the app works correctly (that is, it has the capability).

• Further, I can see the same capability checked in the App Id under my developer profile.

• Further, if I generate a profile manually it claims to include Family Controls in the info screen.

But still it won't let me upload the app.

I've tried:

• deleting all automatically generated profiles and regenerating them.
  • adding and removing the capability in Xcode and in the App Id
  • generating a manual provisioning profile and downloading it (this one complains about the missing capability when I download it).

Any ideas?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of powers Down vote post of powers
6.6k views
  • did it tell you this? : "Provisioning profile "" doesn't support the Family Controls capability even though you enabled this option on Xcode and on your apple developer account? i'm currently at the same situation and trying to figure out why is that.

• Same issue here. We submitted the permission request more than two weeks ago and now still waiting for their reply. No confirmation email was received after the submission. We can't even create an ad-hoc build for internal testing.

Add a Comment

Replies

Have you already requested permission to use the entitlement? https://developer.apple.com/contact/request/family-controls-distribution

• Huh. I wasn't aware I needed to (so thanks).

• If I get the permission ,will I get the email from Apple or other way?

Add a Comment

Hi, we have the same issue, nearly before the release, we realize that we need to request permission to use the Family Control entitlement. Can you share how long will it take to get the results of this request?

Getting the entitlement permission was quick and painless for me (a few days wait?). Releasing on the other hand, has been a consistent nightmare. My hunch is that the testing people don’t have the right tools or script to handle releases. But I’ve gotten all sorts of strange requests and rejections that read like the person on the other side didn’t even know that Family Controls were a thing.

I am still getting this error despite being approved for family control. Anyone know what to do?

• When you're approved, you need to manually go to the app's identifier configuration page in developer.apple and enable "Family Controls (Distribution)". This setting is hidden in a tab called "Additional Capabilities"

Add a Comment

Hi I followed this process but am now getting the errors on the extensions I'm using which are also using the family controls. Doesn't look like I can add "Family Controls (Distribution)" to them which I could on the main app. Any ideas?

• I am also facing same issue. I have already obtained the entitlement for my app but i have the device-activity extension inside the app that requires this entitlement but it's not available in the provisioning profile of the extension. so uploading to appstore connect fails with an error. Did you have to request family controls for your app extension bundle identifier too?

Add a Comment

We are waiting for approval for more than 3 weeks now. No confirmation email after filling the form. Contacting support was not helpful either.

Is this to be expected for Family Controls requests?

• Was this ever resolved?

Add a Comment

Oh, my God. I've already submitted my application. I hope they get it approved soon. Finally found a solution.

So this was actually an issue that took me a while to solve and I want to save others from that pain. The problem is that the Family Controls entitlement only works for development mode, which is why debug releases work fine. For production, you'll have to follow two steps:

1. Request the Family Controls permission for your app through the request form
  2. Once the entitlement is granted (took about 3 weeks but I've seen varying time frames on the forum), you have to enable Family Controls in your App Store Connects Identifiers section (you only see this option once the entitlement is granted): Identifiers > your_identifier > Additional Capabilities, there you enable Family Controls for App Store distribution. You'll have to do this for all of the Identifiers of your app that use Family Controls, e.g. the extensions etc
  • Hello,we are waiting for approval for more than 5 weeks now. No confirmation email after filling the form. Contacting support was not helpful either. We are working on a project of Parent Control. There are two applications one for parents and another for children.Parents application can block applications on the child's device. I call 'requestAuthorization(for: .child)' on the child App. Do I still need call it on the parent App? Or do I still need to authorize on the parent App?

• Hello,we are waiting for approval for more than 5 weeks now. No confirmation email after filling the form. Contacting support was not helpful either. We are working on a project of Parent Control. There are two applications one for parents and another for children.Parents application can block applications on the child's device. I call 'requestAuthorization(for: .child)' on the child App. Do I still need call it on the parent App? Or do I still need to authorize on the parent App?

• I am also facing same issue. I have already obtained the entitlement for my app but i have the device-activity extension inside the app that requires this entitlement but it's not available in the provisioning profile of the extension. so uploading to appstore connect fails with an error. Did you have to request family controls for your app extension bundle identifier too? I requested for my app extension but i never got any reply.

We are working on a project of Parent Control. There are two applications one for parents and another for children.Parents application can block applications on the child's device. I call 'requestAuthorization(for: .child)' on the child App. Do I still need call it on the parent App?

I also sent a message to Apple from the previously mentioned form. It's been two weeks and I still haven't received a reply. I am troubled.

• I finally got an email back from Apple. It took 5 weeks to get a reply. The text was "The entitlement for Family Controls (Distribution) has been assigned to your account, and you can now configure this capability for eligible apps."

Add a Comment

I request the Family Controls permission. It's been two month and I still haven't received a reply. I am troubled.

• Hi hlaite, Have you solved your problem? I've been requesting for 1 month but haven't received any response yet.

Add a Comment

Hello, I request the Family Controls entitlement. It's been five months and I still haven't received a reply. Help please!!!!!

• Did you get the permission now? And if you have got the permission, what did you do for that?

Add a Comment

Hello Indigen, Thank you for posting your question via the forum. For your question, please reach out to Apple Developer Program Support for further assistance.

Regards, Developer Forum Support

• Thank you, problem solved

Add a Comment

Hi I am having a exactly same problem like you guys. We were able to receive the reply saying 'not-granted' but we even don't know why... Do we have to apply again? Can anybody help me?

• Hi Neilfrom Hustlers, Have you solved your problem? I've been requesting for 1 month but haven't received any response yet.

Add a Comment

Do I have to request for both the main app and my app extensions as well?