Xcode 14 Beta 3 Core Data Model Editor Style

Hello,

Switching Core Data Editor Style has been broken since Xcode 14 Beta 1. Although I can get by, it would be convenient to switch to the Graphical ER diagram style to "visually" study the model for an App.

Regards and Thank You, John

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of jwmiller382 Down vote post of jwmiller382
13k views
  • Is there any workaround for this missing feature?

Add a Comment

Replies

“Code Data's diagram editor style facilitates powerful collaboration on an app's data model. Apple, please bring this Xcode capability back!!! Losing this feature introduces immense cognitive overhead in the development, design, and maintenance of a Core Data data model. The best analogy that I can come up with for this backwards move, is that it's the same as asking Mac users to give the GUI they overwhelming love and appreciate, and force them to revert back to using the command line.”

Correct. Same with me! Xcode 14.1 from October 22.

• More precisely: Xcode 14.1 build 14B47b

Add a Comment

Dear Apple, yes, this sucks, and I will not be using Xcode 14 for my development work moving forward, until this feature is put back. The ERD View is critical to any database design process and doubly so, when trying to re-do a database that someone else programmed!! So, to use your thinking, I now have to manually re-create all of these tables into another tool entirely to get that view and to be able to produce the database documentation for our Auditors so that they can do this? There are SO MANY reasons to have that view that go beyond mere convenience. Please bring it back!!!! You're making it harder for us Devs to continue working in your ecosystem.

• Workaround: get an old Mac (mine is Mac mini late 2012), install macOS Catalina (10.15.7) and Xcode 12.4 (12D4e). CoreData graph editor works ok. My idea is to move the CoreData stuff to Xcode 12.4 and build it as a package and bring it back to Xcode 14.1 by importing it as a package. I did not test the package idea yet.

Add a Comment

I suggested a workaround using Xcode 12.4 and my message was deleted. I just would like to know why?

You could design your app's data models in a tool like OneGen (onegen.io) which would generate the Swift Core Data models for you. However, it doesn't support importing existing core data models to get the visual representation.

Full disclosure: I'm a co-founder of the tool and I took the liberty to integrate Core Data code generation as I learned about this "fix".

Suggestion: get an old Mac (mine is Mac mini late 2012, install macOS Catalina (10.15 7) and Xcode 12.4 (12D4e). CoreData graph editor works ok. My idea is to move

the CoreData stuff to Xcode 12.4 and build it as a package and bring it back to Xcode 14.1 by importing it as a package. I did not test the package idea yet.

Loosing the CoreData graph editor is realy disapointing and a black day in my Apple experience.

At 15min16sec of « Evolve your Core Data schema » video of WWDC22, those style buttons are clearly shown in Xcode. Why those style buttons have been removed from Xcode 14? It simply doesn't make sense. I submitted a ticket through Feedback Assistant and I encourage every developer to do the same.

Add a Comment

I'm using Xcode 14.0, have we gone back to Xcode 1.0? Why, is this time saving feature missing in action? Which Apple Team came up with this dark idea? Is there something broken here? Removing this feature makes troubleshooting a Core Data Model a lot more time consuming and less reliable! Over the last 4 months there has been NO reply from Apple, is there anyone from Apple listening to so many developers on this issue? What a BAD practice!

This is a screenshot from Apple’s online documentation related to Core Data. It clearly shows the editor’s style buttons. It doesn’t make sense modelling a large object model by simply working a relation from an entity then going to the other entity and creating a relation and going back to the previous entity to make sure the relationship is correct. The WYSIWYG editor is the tool needed.

I’ve been working on a replacement CoreData graph viewer - if you'd be interested in being a beta tester, please let me know. My email address is on my StackOverflow profile

https://stackoverflow.com/users/123632/ashley-mills?tab=profile

How do you configure relationships now? I don't see how to configure if it's has 1 or has many, and the documentation here literally instructs you to change it to diagram view.

What's going on at Apple that this isn't at least updated with the removal?

• You need to use the Relationships section of the model editor and add relationships there in much the same way as adding Attributes. The graph viewer was a great way to keep track of things as the relationship graph became more complicated. Now you have to do it in your head, on paper, or elsewhere. Sigh!

Add a Comment

I think I'm gonna be sick.

Just got back to a project I started last year. Yikes! The missing graphical view is a huge loss!

I have written a CoreData model visualisation tool. Just released on the App Store : https://apps.apple.com/us/app/coredata-model-editor/id6449733666

So far, it is just a graphical view of the model, but it updates everytime you save your modification in XCode. So you can have XCode on one half of yoru screen and edit your model with tables, and immediately see the graphic view when you save. I'll turn the app into a real editor as soon as possible.

I hope that helps...

• Yep, I just started on work for a new app and I think this change just reinforces that I should not be using Core Data. Core Data has had so many problems in the past that now it is just not worth it.

I guess this could be a prelude to replacing Core Data with Core Data2, but who knows. By the time we figure it out, we will have already moved on.

• This is very helpful, thanks!

Add a Comment

My hunch (based on nothing) is that Apple is setting up Xcode for SwiftData.

So basically, if you want your diagrams, you have to get them by using SwiftData.

Just a hunch.