Xcode 14 Beta 3 Core Data Model Editor Style

Hello,

Switching Core Data Editor Style has been broken since Xcode 14 Beta 1. Although I can get by, it would be convenient to switch to the Graphical ER diagram style to "visually" study the model for an App.

Regards and Thank You, John

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of jwmiller382 Down vote post of jwmiller382
13k views
  • Is there any workaround for this missing feature?

Add a Comment

Replies

This shows as having been fixed in the release notes, but it isn't showing for me for the last three builds I've installed. The button to switch between visual entity/attribute/relationship editor and textual editor is entirely missing.

-- the full statement in the 14beta3 notes reads: "Fixed: The diagram view has been removed from the Core Data data model editor in Xcode 14."

Ah. Thanks DelawareMathGuy for your comment.

I had interpreted this as:

"We fixed the problem of: The diagram view has been removed from the Core Data data model editor in Xcode 14."

rather than:

"We fixed the problem of the missing diagram view in Xcode 14 by removing it."

If their definition of "Fixed" is to simply delete important functionality, well, not to be too snarky, but I was actually looking at switching to Realm just now...

I do think the graph view is crucial for establishing and analyzing relationships.

It would certainly help to have access to bug 92485092. I just checked Open Radar again, and can't find anything concerning this.

I believe this problem happened during Xcode 12's lifetime. Here's to hoping the "diagram view" / "Editor Style: Graph" view returns to Xcode 14 soon.

I did file a Feedback Assistant issue, number 10793066.

For completeness, I am attaching a screenshot showing the Editor Style [Table | Graph] buttons from Xcode 13 that are missing in Xcode 14 beta 3 Build 14A5270f.

Hal

• i agree with you whole-heartedly when you say "I do think the graph view is crucial for establishing and analyzing relationships." you can get a nice overview of the model from the graphical diagram that otherwise takes a few minutes to flesh out when you have to read through each entity separately and basically sketch out a diagram by hand.

Add a Comment

This unannounced removal of longstanding critically important CoreData "visualization perspective" is business hostile and illegal! "Project Manager" Sunil, this very flippant answer is business unacceptable and the "button" had better be in Xcode 14 by September 7, 2022 or face, let's say....... escalation.....

To make this more confusing and frustrating, the Editor Style button is STILL FEATURED IN DOCS found here. If this is going away, at least correct your documentation.

It's really a mess that apple seems to be just removing important features, without announcing a solution to that and producing docs and wwdc videos featuring this button.

Wow! Just realized the Core Data diagram view is MIA in Xcode 14. You would think there would be a word about this in the release notes, but NO. NO we disappeared this feature. NO this is a known omission. NOTHING.

Very few style points awarded for this maneuver!

Now that I'm past being upset about the removal of the Core Data Diagram View (without notice in version release notes), I want to add my rationale for restoring this feature.

I am working a Core Data model with 29 entities including several parent/child relationships. It's not a perfect relational database by any means. The diagram view was my GOTO to restrain the complexity I was modeling. If I could not unravel the diagram to keep the lines from crossing, then there likely was something wrong. Now I am looking at my data model in the traditional editor view and I have no idea how these forcibly alphabetized entities relate to each other a s a group. It's a HUGE LOSS for me, and I am VERY DISAPPOINTED.

OK, so I'm only one developer in millions. I'm guessing more will come to realize this is missing as they try to produce a diagram view. But really, Apple, this is a sleazy slight of hand you just foisted on all of us.

• Same with me. Totally agree!

Add a Comment

Apple disappointed me.

Just "upgraded" to Xcode 14 and also quickly discovered the (unmentioned) missing diagram editor.

What's there now is a 30 year step backwards. Feels like we're back in MPW.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of BRSW Down vote reply of BRSW

Is there a similar visualisation tool that anyone can recommend? I couldn't find any.

It was extremely useful for large data models. It just needed a way to export to some zoomable media as the graph would never fit even on very large screen but other than that it was fit for purpose so it's not clear why Apple decided to pull the plug on it.

dangg apple delete it when i really need it

Faaaaaarkkkkkk!!!! You've got to be kidding me!

I would always go on about this feature to web developers - it's pretty much the greatest reason to use core data. If they intentionally removed this editor, that's a huge loss!

very strange using Core Data without Editor Style

• Code Data's diagram editor style facilitates powerful collaboration on an app's data model. Apple, please bring this Xcode capability back!!! Losing this feature introduces immense cognitive overhead in the development, design, and maintenance of a Core Data data model. The best analogy that I can come up with for this backwards move, is that it's the same as asking Mac users to give the GUI they overwhelming love and appreciate, and force them to revert back to using the command line.

Add a Comment

Code Data's diagram editor style facilitates powerful collaboration on an app's data model. Apple, please bring this Xcode capability back!!! Losing this feature introduces immense cognitive overhead in the development, design, and maintenance of a Core Data data model. The best analogy that I can come up with for this backwards move, is that it's the same as asking Mac users to give the GUI they overwhelming love and appreciate, and force them to revert back to using the command line.