Can no longer start iOS app on MacOS via XCode

I'm writing here because I'm out of ideas now, I allow my iOS app to be used on macOS and previously I was able to launch my app via XCode and perform debugging but suddenly I'm not able to launch my app anymore (I updated my OS (12.6) and my XCode (14.0.1) in the meantime). When I start it I see the icon but then it immediately crashes with following error in the output

AddressSanitizer: CHECK failed: sanitizer_mac.cpp:1231 "((ret_value)) <= (((1ULL << 36)))" ...
AddressSanitizer: CHECK failed: sanitizer_mac.cpp:1231 "((ret_value)) <= (((1ULL << 36)))" ...
(lldb) 

I can't even put a breakpoint anywhere as my code doesn't even get executed. I tried a test project and it works there but my project doesn't start up even though it works perfectly fine on iOS/ tvOS and on iPads. How can I fix this error or what's exactly the problem?

Accepted Reply

Aaarg sorry I forgot that I enabled AddressSanitizer in my schema... Seems this isn't supported on MacOS, as soon as I turned it off I can launch my app again.

Replies

Aaarg sorry I forgot that I enabled AddressSanitizer in my schema... Seems this isn't supported on MacOS, as soon as I turned it off I can launch my app again.

I also hit this problem when trying to enable ASAN on my iOS app when running with run destination set to My Mac (Designed for iPad) (iOS 17 SDK, 14.1.1). I haven't tried the same configuration running under iOS (device or simulator) yet, as I was doing primary testing on macOS.

Seems this isn't supported on MacOS

Can we get an official comment on this? I would consider this to be a bug. Did you file any feedback about this problem?

I just filed the following feedback for my case; I would encourage anyone else hitting this problem to file their own feedback report:

FB13420394 Xcode: Running iOS 17 app on macOS with ASAN enabled crashes with error: AddressSanitizer: CHECK failed: sanitizer_mac.cpp:1215 "((ret_value)) <= (((1ULL << 36)))" (0x7ffffdffffff, 0x1000000000) (tid=497045)

Can we get an official comment on this?

Officially, I don’t know what the full story is here. If you’d like this to work my advice is that you file a bug about this and, hey, you’ve already done that (FB13420394) so…

Thanks!

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"