Apple Watch Missing Developer Mode Option

I have an iPhone 14 running iOS 16.1 and my series 5 watch running watchOS 9.1. I was able to turn on Developer Mode on the phone by going to Settings--> Privacy & Security --> Developer Mode. On the watch however (I'm doing this directly on the watch and not on the watch app on the phone) once I'm in Privacy & Security, there is no option to select Developer Mode. How do I get my watch in Developer Mode in order to get a successful build in xCode?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Missing87 Down vote post of Missing87
7.7k views

Replies

Developer Mode is at the bottom of Settings > Privacy & Security. The cell is tappable; once you tap it, you'll see the switch.

• Not quite our experience. Developer mode switch does not appear until Xcode has attempted to connect to the Apple Watch through an iPhone already paired with the Apple Watch and connected to the computer running Xcode. After a short time, Xcode noticed the paired Apple Watch, then after re-booting, the Apple Watch showed the Developer Mode button as indicated. It seems that until you really need it, you cant see the Developer Mode button.

• One year after and still this issue is present. I upgraded from one device to a newer device the watch was wiped and paired to the new device. Now there is no way to get back developer mode on the watch.

Add a Comment

I have exactly the same issue. If I go to the bottom of Privacy & Security on the watch there is an option to go into the App privacy report but no option to switch on Developer mode Please advice

Same issue here, I have the ultra, and everything is updated but no developer mode setting available on the watch...

The developer mode button is missing for me too. There's nothing below App Privacy Report on my new Apple Watch.

I had Xcode playing nice with my older Apple Watch, and was able to load apps that I wrote onto it. Since I got a new watch, I can no longer test apps on my watch. It is listed as "waiting for first unlock" in the simulator list despite it and my phone both being unlocked... I thought the solution might be that I needed to turn on developer mode--that's when I discovered the option is missing).

After a while and quitting/restarting Xcode while my phone was connected, the message changed to say developer mode was disabled on my watch. Then the developer mode setting magically appeared and I could enable it. Then the Xcode message changed back to waiting for first unlock. Then I had to trust the computer (again - I already did this on the new watch while trying to debug this problem). It still wasn't working until I quit and restarted Xcode yet one more time. Then it finally worked.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of 42KM Down vote reply of 42KM
  • Same thing here!

Add a Comment

I had to have my phone plugged in to access developer mode on my Apple Watch. I didn't need to restart Xcode tho

For me it took un-pairing and re-pairing the phone to Xcode, which then decided it didn't know my watch's metadata anymore for a bit... (Device was called for a while) But once Xcode re-fetched the device metadata, and got into a state where it said developer mode was disabled, only at THAT point did the option of enabling Developer mode appear in Settings > Privacy & Security for me. (Way at the bottom, so you know where it ISN'T, and know where to look once it DOES show up.)

No Apple documentation on this anywhere that I could find.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of imf Down vote reply of imf

I was able to get Developer Mode option in Privacy&Settings following these steps (watchOS 9.3):

0.) I turned on developer mode on my iPhone 1.) I tried to run watchOS app from Xcode on my watch although it said its unavailable 2.) I turned off developer mode on my iPhone and they turned it back on 3.) Tried to run app watchOS app from Xcode again on my watch, this time I got error massage that I need to turn on developer mode 4.) I went back to Privacy&Settings on my watch I Developer Mode appeared on the bottom

Hope this helps!

• This one worked for me, had to switch schemes in Xcode to a simulator and back to the physical device in between steps to get xCode to re-evaluate the situation.

Add a Comment

I see the same issue with a Watch Series 9. There is no switch to enable developer mode in the Privacy & Security menu (WatchOS 10.0.1), and the Watch also does not show up in Xcode. Developer mode works as expected on iPhone.

I was also struggling with this problem for a week and tried nearly every link I found on Google...

So I had a perfectly working setup where I could run and debug my app on the Watch. Then I got a new Watch, but could not enable developer mode and hence did not see the Watch in Xcode. The setup: Xcode 15.0, WatchOS 10.0.2, iOS 17.0.2, macOS 14.0, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Series 9.

Here is what worked in the end:

• Unpair Watch from iPhone.
  • Unpair the iPhone in Xcode.
  • Switch off development mode on iPhone.
  • Turn off iPhone.
  • Delete all Xcode settings as described in https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/705846.
  • Delete Xcode, empty trash.
  • Restart Mac.
  • Restart iPhone.
  • Download Xcode 15.0.
  • Unpack, open Xcode 15.0.
  • Open project (no elegible devices connected to My Mac).
  • Connect iPhone to Mac via USB cable.
  • Select "Trust computer" on iPhone. iPhone shows up in Xcode, but asks that developer mode to be enabled.
  • Enable developer mode on iPhone.
  • Restart iPhone.
  • iPhone shows up in Xcode as development device.
  • App starts successfully on iPhone.
  • Close Xcode.
  • Disconnect iPhone from USB cable.
  • Pair Watch to iPhone as new watch (no restore from backup).
  • Wait until all Watch apps have been installed.
  • Open Xcode.
  • Connect iPhone with USB cable.
  • Watch shows up in device overview in Xcode, but asks that developer mode to be enabled.
  • Developer mode finally appears on the Watch.
  • Enable developer mode on Watch.
  • Restart Watch.
  • Start Watch app in Xcode. Prompt to register device appears.
  • Register device.
  • The app starts on the Watch.

I wish there was a less invasive way to solve the problem, but I found none and this worked for me.

• Thank you. This generally worked for me but I didn't need to delete Xcode or turn off developer mode on my iPhone. I only needed to unpair and re-pair my watch. It then automatically connected to Xcode. Took well over an hour.

Add a Comment

After looking for quite a bit... watch --> settings --> Scroll to the very bottom, below all of the apps --> HERE is developer

It is not under privacy & security on watch

• Present day it’s no where to be found. If they post a profile in the site to enable the menu option that will fix this lingering problem.

Add a Comment

At the top of the settings app on my watch was a notice to sign in to my AppleID. This made the developer setting appear again

In my case, my Watch even doesn't appear on devices list on Xcode and the developer mode was hidden.

The steps below made the device appear on the list and the "Developer Mode" option appears to on Settings -> Privacy & Security.

1 - Unplug the iPhone from Mac. 2 - Unpair the iPhone on Xcode 3 - Disable developer mode on iPhone 4 - Enable developer mode on iPhone (here, in my case, the devices list already appears the watch) 4.1 - Restart the iPhone.... 5 - Enable developer mode on Watch.

In my case, my Watch even doesn't appear on devices list on Xcode and the developer mode was hidden.

The steps below made the device appear on the list and the "Developer Mode" option appears to on Settings -> Privacy & Security.

1. Unplug the iPhone from Mac
  2. Unpair the iPhone on Xcode
  3. Disable developer mode on iPhone
  4. Enable developer mode on iPhone (here, in my case, the devices list already appears the watch)
  5. Restart the iPhone....
  6. Enable developer mode on Watch.
  • many thanks! This procedure worked for me! :) Appreciated!

• A lot of mentions of "Settings > Privacy > Developer mode."

Turns out, it's on the ACTUAL WATCH!

On the watch, pressed the crown, then selected Settings (gear icon). Scrolled down to "Privacy & Security" then scrolled to the bottom > "Developer Mode." Toggled switch on. Prompted to restart. Answered yes to all trust questions.

Quit Xcode and restarted, went to XCode > Window > Devices and Simulators, then selected Watch. It went through fetching Debug Symbols, then it was good to go.

HTH.

Add a Comment

With Watch OS 10.1 and Xcode 15.0.1 I was facing the same issue, Developer Mode was missing. After spending the whole night the issue was my Mac's Bluetooth, it was turned off and I spent all night finding the fix. Turning Bluetooth on solved the problem. Developer Mode showes up in Privacy & Security and everything worked fine.