Apple Configurator Won't Launch on iPad

I downloaded Apple Configurator v1.1 from the App Store to an iPad 9th Gen running iPadOS 16.1. When I try to launch the Configurator, the display goes black for a second and then returns to the home screen. I have neither a current Mac available nor an iPhone, only a stack of new iPads purchased through Amazon.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of SSD10 Down vote post of SSD10
4.5k views
  • I have the same issue as well. App tries to open, then immediately closes. Apple, any update on this?

• Try updating to iPadOS 16.4, this appears to have worked for my iPad 7th Gen.

Add a Comment

Replies

Have the same issue here with a school iPad that I updated so that I could use the Configurator to enroll a troublesome iPad to our Apple School Manager Account. Did you find a solution?

I have the same issue as well. App tries to open, then immediately closes. Apple, any update on this?

Same issue on iPad mini (6th gen), have erased the iPad and tried with no other apps installed, didn't work on iPadOS 16.1 or 16.1.1.

App not working on Ipad, once installed it shows version 1.0 is installed even though it says they running on version 1.1 in store. Have reloaded the app multiple times, reloaded Ipad even, app installs but when you run it just goes black and pop back to home screen. Please can we get an update on this? been broken more than a 2 months for me

Hello, I’ve got the same issue, anyone already has a solution? I’ve got only this device to configure macbooks of my company on ABM. Thank you

Already everyone. Here is the solution:

Apple Configurator only works on iPhoneand iPod Touch, not iPad. You can use a Macbook to do the process, but iPad no luck!

Get your IT Department to buy an iPhone or use an Macbook. I know it makes no sense cause I only found out by reading the spec requirements of the software thinking it was only an iOS update needed.

• Something has changed, because I HAVE an iPad that is WORKING with Apple Configurator 2. When I launch Apple Configurator 2 it brings up the camera, looking like it's designed for the iPhone, but it works fine. It allows me to log into my Apple School Manager and to add Mac's to it. This has been installed for well over a year. Just started adding Mac's more recently. It works. We have a 2nd iPad that was purchased months later and it too works. Possibly something changed between iOS and iPadOS?

• Whatever the reason, Apple is MUM about it. It's very frustrating! I called Apple Support, and the tech insisted that Apple Configurator does not work on iPad, and so there was no way for us to get it working. He flat out refused to help. When I told him I had two working iPads, and I offered to Zoom or Teams with him to show him, he said it was a fluke. :/ After about 20 seconds of silence to contain myself, I just decided to hang up. There was nothing good that was going to come out of that!

Add a Comment

Thanks DrCoolIP.

It's a bit of a **** to the average technician; many of us can't afford an iPhone!

Apple, please fix this on the iPad!

It is annoying to be pushed to purchase an iPhone to enrol some company devices!

Please, please, fix this issue on the iPad!

I have a stack of Ipads and cannot get them deployed as I do not have a IPhone or Mac to use configurator on ... I have tons of IPads and cannot use one as an Admin for configurator?? Please fix this and allow IPADS to run the configurator.

• I'm finally able to login to Apple Configurator 2 on an iPad 7th Gen after updating to iPadOS 16.4. Unfortunately I can't test any further because I was forced to buy a Mac mini three months ago which I already used to enroll all 103 of my school's new iPad 9th Gens.

Add a Comment

Apple Configurator 2 appears to work after updating to iPadOS 16.4, at least on my iPad 7th Gen.

My company setup is to use my BYOD iPhone 14 to enroll company iPad minis in Apple Business Manager using Apple Configurator 1.1 on my phone, and my company laptop. I have successfully enrolled 3 iPad minis. I cannot get the next iPad mini to register with the circular camera scan. After erasing and backing up the iPad mini, I power it on, choose language, login to the same wifi that my phone uses, then with Configurator open on my phone, I bring it up to the iPad but am not getting the camera scan. It just goes into manual setup.

I have setup manually, then erased ipad and started over 4 times with same results. The iPad is updated to its highest 12.5.7.

I just set up a dummy apple ID account on my phone, and Configurator worked.

My work Apple ID, is good on all previous iPads I have set up in Configurator. This one unit is the exception and I am on deadline to enroll this with our work Apple ID by tomorrow. Thanks!