Where to get 5.5 inch iPhone screenshots for submission

Hello, I'm new to iOS development and I'm trying to take some screenshots of my app to submit to the App Store. I'm running Ventura 13.0.1 and XCode 14.1. So far I've used these simulators to take screenshots:

• 6.5 inch - iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • 6.7 inch - iPhone 14 Pro Max
  • 12.9 inch - iPad Pro 6th gen

What I'm stuck on is getting the 5.5 inch screenshots, which are required for App Store submission. As far as I can tell from some online searching, the latest iPhone with that screen size was the 8 Plus. I've installed the oldest iOS simulator that XCode has listed (iOS 13.7), but it still won't let me run a simulator for the iPhone 8 Plus to get those screenshots. I don't have the physical device to take screenshots on. Does anyone know how to get the 5.5 inch screenshots without having to manually resize them?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of kollinmurphy Down vote post of kollinmurphy
48k views

Replies

Mandatory screen sizes are :

• 6.5", for instance iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • 5.5", for instance iPhone 8 plus
  • 12.9", iPad 5G or 6G
  • 12.9", iPad 2G

All those simulators are available in Xcode 14, or can be added. I copy a screen shot showing all simulators in Xcode 14, and more may be added:

• I was only looking in the dock. From inside Xcode I see the option to add new simulators. Thank you!

• This is only helpful if you are not targeting iOS 17. If you are targeting iOS 17, you are stuck -- as the iOS 17 runtime is not available for any of the 5.5" devices (iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus).

• Donavan Do you have solution for this? I update macOS 14 and Xcode 15 then iOS 17 is default

In Xcode, click the "Window" menu, then "Devices & Simulators". In the "Simulators" tab, click the plus sign at the bottom left. You can pick "iPhone 8 Plus" from the list.

• I can confirm that this did not work for me as I am still getting "The dimensions of one or more screenshots are wrong" using screenshots of iPhone 8 Plus.

• @ Hamma11 There is a resolution setting for the simulator and the default creates incompatible resolutions for submission. You have to select the 'best' from a list of three. I'm sorry I am not more specific. I had this problem too and found the resolution settings by accident while exploring the simulator menu settings. Still I cannot find an iOS version above 15 for use with 5.5 inch screen devices.

Add a Comment

Do we have any options for someone who are using third party sites like Thunkable and don't have xcode? I'm having hard time finding stimulators for the same reason described above.

You can also try this for getting the iPhone 8 Plus installed: When you create the simulator, if you tap on "OS Version" there is a drop down for "Download simulator runtimes", (which takes you to the "Platforms" settings screen, there is a little "+" icon there select "iOS" and from there you can install iOS 14.3 (which is 5GB) or another iOS version if you like, so your iPhone 8 Plus can run on that instead.
The don't make all of these buried drop-down screens with the little "+" icons easy to discover...

• Hi Guys I did install the 5G data. I can see the iPhone 8 Plus but still cannot add it or see it by the Xcode simulator, any idea what to do.

• hi I did the same I can see the iPhone 8 Plus but my app still not running.

Add a Comment

If someone at Apple is reading this, in 2023 it's a nonsense to force developers downloading a 5GB simulator just to make a screenshot that is mandatory for submitting the App on the AppStore. It makes things unnecessarily complicated.

• Apple: "We care about developers". Also Apple: submit screenshots for a 5.5 inch display running iOS 17. Oh it doesn't exist? Too bad.

• "We care about developers" is a relic of the past. Actions speak louder than words. Apple is going to slowly lose the developer base which made the iPhone the success it's been.

Add a Comment

I'm on the same boat. My app has minimal requirement of iOS17 and iPhone 8 Plus doesn't even support anything beyond iOS16

Those who are looking for a solution, try to run app on iPhone SE 3rd Generation and then resize the screenshot to 1242 x 2208px. Hope this helps.

• this is the correct answer to the original question.

Add a Comment

iOS 17 and iPhone 8 Screenshots... Any solution for this?

Do you know a tool that is able to generate the various sizes starting from a single upload of each screenshot?

Apple must to correct his docs! https://developer.apple.com/help/app-store-connect/reference/screenshot-specifications They write: 5.5" Display -> 1242 x 2208 pixels (portrait) iPhone 8 Plus iPhone 7 Plus iPhone 6s Plus

Running simulator with iPhone 8 Plus screenshot have resolution 1125 x 2436 !!! :(

They are crazy !! Is there a simulator that create screenshot that they want ?? Incredible..

Seriously no update on this? I spent the last 45 minutes just trying to find the right device for the emulator and there aren't any?

1. What

I dont have an answer and don't know how to generate 5.5" screenshots. However, Apple clarified that those are needed :(

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/719822

Per @jakir.me recommendation to use iPhone SE 3rd generation and then resizing it, you can use this Figma template to help you do the resizing. Figma is free and you just need to drag and drop the image and resize it to fit the template frame and that's it.

Figma Template Link: https://www.figma.com/community/file/1321322901942263853/appstore-iphone-5-5-template

Happy publishing to app store all 🙌

Try this:

Use the iPhone SE simulator and make a screenshot. Then use the ImageMagic convert in a Terminal window:

convert Simulator\ Screenshot\ -\ iPhone\ SE\ \(3rd\ generation\)\ -\ 2024-01-06\ at\ 10.24.40.png -resize 1242x2209 -crop 1242x2208+0+0  01-5.5.png

See https://imagemagick.org/script/convert.php

• Thanks, that really saved my day.

• After 20 hours of downloading iOS version for iPhone 8 Plus, it failed. This solution saved my day too. Thank you.

I installed with homebrew and saved images as 1.png,2.png,3.png I run the command as following: magick 1.png -resize 1242x2209 -crop 1242x2208+0+0 1-5.5.png magick 2.png -resize 1242x2209 -crop 1242x2208+0+0 2-5.5.png magick 3.png -resize 1242x2209 -crop 1242x2208+0+0 3-5.5.png

• I specially logged in to deliver my Thanks to this comment! I just saved countless hours by leveraging this solution!