Webclip icon cannot be deleted

The iphone info: OsVersion: iOS 15 Device model: iphone 12

Steps:

1. Install the MDM profile on the iphone.
  2. The server pushes the command to install the webclip profile through MDM (the profile is set to not be manually removable).
  3. After installing the webclip profile, the webclip icon will appear on the Home Screen of the phone screen.
  4. When the webclip is no longer used, remove the webclip profile through MDM.

The problem occurs in step 4, the webclip profile is deleted, but the webclip icon still exists on the home screen of the mobile phone, and cannot be removed by tools such as Apple Configurator2.

So what causes this phenomenon and how to fix?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of zhuangyan Down vote post of zhuangyan
1.6k views

Replies

It's the same issue; only a factory reset of the iPhone can delete it. and cannot be restored with a backup file because iTunes also backs up these stupid webclips.

I've seen the same issue for a lot of my MDM users. Some reason the web clip transfers on restore from backup even though the MDM profile does not. Being marked as non-removable is not justification enough for this behavior. It is basically unfixable. We need to press Apple for a fix from their end.

I finally figured out a workaround to delete these.

move all webclips you want to delete to an empty page, then tap the pages icon to manage pages

Tap the button to hide the whole page to just hide it, this would work well for un-removable webclips you just want to hide

tap the minus icon then Remove page

you will a warning about keeping bookmarks, tap remove. No more stranded webclips!

• omg you just saved my life :)

Add a Comment

Thank you @Stout! You just saved me from performing a factory reset of my phone. @Stout