ASUS XONAR PCI Audio Card kext signing/distribution

hi,

so i have a little bit of work left on the Asus Xonar family of audio devices.

thanks to APPUL's samplepciaudiodriver code and their excellent documentation, Evegeny Gavrilov's kxAudio driver for MAC and Takashi Iwai's exceptional documentation of the ALSA API i have something that is ready for testing.

the stats look good, but unfortunately i this is my second HDAV1.3 deluxe. the other one is also in the same room consuming all of my devices with powered audio outputs.

no matter, i am in the process of acquiring another xonar sound card in this family.

which brings me to my question: what is the benefit of getting an apple developer account for 99 dollars a year? will i be able to distribute a beta kext with my signature that will allow people to test the binary?

i don't think others could run a self-signed kext built on one machine, on another, correct? so would a developer license allow others to test a binary built on my machine, assuming they're x86?

my hope is that the developer program would allow me to test the binaries and solicit input from enthusiast mac pro owners WORLD WIDE.

i them hope to create a new program that will give us the wealth mixers/controls this fantastic line is capable of providing.

Replies

will i be able to distribute a beta kext with my signature that will allow people to test the binary?

If you want users to be able to install your KEXT without disabling SIP then you must do the following:

1. Get your Developer ID enabled for KEXT development.

2. Sign your KEXT with that KEXT-enabled Developer ID.

3. Notarise it.

All of these require you to be a member of the Apple Developer Program.

By far the trickiest part is step 1. By default most teams can’t create a KEXT-enabled Developer ID. See KEXT Code Signing Problems.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NCjEa_1YwU

demonstration of functional headphone jack on the Xonar STX II pci express card.

all around the world gotta spread the word tell em whatcha heard gonna make a better day

all around the world

gotta spread the word

tell em whatcha heard

gonna make a better day

Hi, broly! Great work! I use a similar sound card. Do you have plans to distribute your kext?

I have Asus Xonar D1, is it possible to use with your kext?

Sorry to bother you, but it still doesn't work with the xonar d2x, it gives me a kernel panic caused by a null pointer or null value, by taking a look at a mirror of your old in-dev code I see that the data structure for the d2x is not fully initialized, can this still be the case for the working driver too?

OFFTOPIC, but in that mirror repo I see you basically re-used a bunch of code from the ALSA project and you have no public source code repo on your github profile, so since ALSA is licensed under GNU GPL, and because this is a derivative work, it means you have to release the code under the GPL too, so you might have to make the source code freely available (for instance on a public git repo), or send it to everyone who asks for it, I know this is not ideal for you, (for instance with dealing with community people), but complying with the licenses is very important and must be taken extremely seriously, even if your project is just for fun or hobby I am afraid you should comply with the GNU.

Again, sorry to bother you, I have no bad intentions, just wanted to let you know about the D2X kernel panic and tell you to be careful with licenses, also keep up the good work man, this driver was quite a thing to pull off.