SwiftUI Stepper Crashes (EXC_BAD_ACCESS) on My Mac (Designed for iPhone) but works fine on iOS device/simulator?

I've been working on an iOS project for the iPhone and would like to support running it on macOS computers with Apple Silicon. In the Targets / Supported Destinations we added "Mac (Designed for iPhone)" but experienced Thread 1: EXC_BAD_ACCESS crashes immediately when we tried to run it.

We've isolated it down to Stepper UI elements in our view. Starting a new project and just trying to present a single Stepper in the ContentView, we get the same crash.

Here is code that presents the issue:

//  ContentView.swift

import SwiftUI

struct ContentView: View {
    @State var someValue = 5
    var body: some View {
        VStack {
            Stepper("Stepper", value: $someValue, in: 0...10)
        }
    }
}

When run from Xcode on an iOS device or the simulator, it runs fine.

Trying to run it on the Mac, it crashes here:

//  Stepper_01App.swift

import SwiftUI

@main // <-- Thread 1: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=2, address=0x16a643f70)
struct Stepper_01App: App {
    var body: some Scene {
        WindowGroup {
            ContentView()
        }
    }
}

Xcode 14.3 (14E222b), MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a), Mac mini M2. Target: Mac (Designed for iPhone)

We have verified that the same code crashes on all the Apple Silicon Macs we have access to. Searching the Internet and Apple Developer forums I dont find other reports, so I kind of feel there must be some level of either user error or system/project misconfiguration going on?

If any iOS app that used Steppers was just crashing when trying to run on a Mac, it seems like this would be a big deal.

If anyone has input or can point out what we need to do differently, it would be appreciated!

• did someone got how to fix it ???

Add a Comment

Replies

finally someone with the same crap happening, im breaking my head today over this. have Sonoma 14.1.2 , using the stepper via macOS (designed for iPhone) is giving me the same EXEC BAD ADDR , I have a MacBook Pro m2 . today is feb 13 2024, and it crashes for me ... anyone has a fix ???

I’d like to see a crash report for this. Posting a Crash Report has info on how to get and post that.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Add a Comment

Report on :

https://qtext.io/jayr

Report on :

That links works but it doesn’t yield a crash report.

ill be sending you everything at your email

I’d be much happier if you posted your crash report here. That way I don’t have to worry about whether it’s OK to quote sections of it.

Share and Enjoy

• Just did send you again at eskimo 1 at apple via email... please check!!!

• please search for "stepper problem" in your inbox.... just sent again! Best Regards!!

Add a Comment

Just did send you again at eskimo 1 at apple via email

I saw that. However, I’m asking you to reply here because I’m not able to provide one-on-one help via email.

Anyway, coming back to your technical issue, one of my colleagues reached let me know that this is a known problem in Stepper (r. 109980918). It crashes in this way for a Mac Catalyst app and for iOS Apps on Mac. OTOH, it should work just fine in an iOS app and in a standard macOS app.

Share and Enjoy

Hey @eskimo ! Foes your buddy has insights on whats happening…? And/or if theres a way to circunvemnt …?

i was thinking maybe having a conditional to detect if the app is being run on mac and if so maybe throw a custom made stepper …? But i dont think thats possible

Same issue. FB13481540

Personally I’d just build a native Mac app. Historically that was tricky because you had to write separate UI code (UIKit vs AppKit) but SwiftUI makes that a lot easier.

But:

i was thinking maybe having a conditional to detect if the app is being run on mac

That’s certainly possible. Check out the isiOSAppOnMac property.

Share and Enjoy

• Life saver @eskimo 💪🏻. Trying this today at night :) best regards!!

Add a Comment

Hey @eskimo just to let you know I did fix and published already to the appstore, did a conditinoal check via ProcessInfo.processinfo.isiOSAppOnMac and did throw in a custom stepper which I had to build and act as the original stepper component :D

so everything is running smoothly on the Mac right now :D

I just hope that gets fixed by Apple , because just imagine... that's a very very common ui component to use.. so if any iOS app that has a stepper at some point integrate it into it, it will render the app unusable on the Mac, which I know with this M chips this compatibility thing is a Huge claim by apple on its software environment , I mean.. the whole compatibility thing its a sales point already...

but that little bug.. will make a bunch of apps crashing and unusable

anyone want to see the code to circumvent the issue and the CustomStepper ?

Click here to the StackOveflow link

@Robertsmania come check the link and how to fix, if you need any help with this let me know