Unable to install iOS 17 ipsw due to the software "not currently available from the Software Update server"

To set the stage, my iPhone 12 pro 128 GB doesn't have enough space for the upgrade from iOS 16->17, so OTA updates are out of the question (for the moment). I backed up my iPhone to my mac running ventura and downloaded the ipsw and held down the option key, clicked "Restore iPhone", selected the downloaded ipsw and I am greeted with a panel that reads:

"A software update is required to restore your iPhone"

Clicking "Install" waiting for "Downloading 1 item" panel to timeout and I am presented with an error that reads:"

"Installation failed

Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server"

I was under the impression that the ipsw was the operating system software and since it is iOS 17 is not in public beta, it wouldn't be available via the Software Update server anyway.

Has anyone else run into this?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of obsessive Down vote post of obsessive
5.1k views
  • I have same problem on my test device.

• Download Xcode 15 Beta and it should solve the problem.

Add a Comment

Replies

Hello @obsessive. The "update" here is likely one that you Mac needs to talk to your iPhone. That "update" is likely the macOS Sonoma beta, which is indeed not available via Software Update.

Basically, you can't install iOS 17 beta because your Mac doesn't know how to talk to an "iOS 17 beta" device yet.

(As an aside: I'm not sure how installing the ipsw solves the lack of available space to do an upgrade.)

—Jason.

Thanks for the reply @Jason. I went over the release notes and didn't see any reference to sonoma being required to install iOS 17 via ipsw.

When you don't have enough space to perform an OTA update, the copy at the bottom of the screen says:

"You can make more storage available by deleting items in the iPhone Storage, or connect your iPhone to a computer to install the update."

My initial assumption was that since the ipsw was not on the device, any expansion of the archive would be on the mac and so I wouldn't need to delete items. 🤷

Hm. A different update, perhaps?

iOS 17 beta requires macOS Ventura 13.3. Are you running macOS Ventura 13.3?

Minimum requirements and supported SDKs

—Jason.

I am running macOS 13.5b2 and have the same problem. I will see if I can get the mobilepackage from Sonoma. I had this last year with iOS 16.

Please don't offer to share Apple-owned software.

—Jason.

Hello, I'm having a similar problem. I was going to install the iOS 17 Developer beta directly from the iPhone, but the "Beta Updates" option does not appear for me (under Automatic Updates). I have developer mode turned on, so this option should appear, but it doesn't. The iPhone is on the latest iOS 16.5 version, and an iPhone 13 Pro. I don't even have the option to download the public beta iOS updates.

Because of this, before seeing this post, I tried the method of installing the beta through the ipsw file and restore feature in Finder. I had the same errors as @obsessive.

Is there something else I could try to do to download the developer beta?

It seems that you can't install a beta with your Mac if you're not running a macOS beta version. Use Apple configurator, drop the ipsw apple gives you, and done.

I hope to have helped you

• Thanks! That really helps

Add a Comment