Xcode 15 beta 6: ld: warning: building for 'macCatalyst', but linking in dylib built

In Xcode 15 beta 6, building any Mac Catalyst project will encounter the following Linker warning.

ld: warning: building for 'macCatalyst', but linking in dylib (/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa.tbd) built for 'macOS'

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Gong Down vote post of Gong
3.8k views

Replies

FB12900696

It looks like your app is trying to link with the Cocoa framework, which is worrying because that framework is not available to Mac Catalyst [1].

Is this a project that you created? If so, how did you create it? If not, where did you get it from?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] Cocoa is an umbrella framework that includes, amongst other things, AppKit. AppKit is not available to Mac Catalyst and thus neither is Cocoa.

@eskimo Hi :)

I can reproduce the warning by creating a new iOS project. Then enable Mac Catalyst and build.

Screen recording: https://youtu.be/kJ3ayFV-Pns

I can reproduce the warning by creating a new iOS project.

OK, well that’s definitely bugworthy.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

• FB12900696

Add a Comment

Still seems to be an issue in the release candidate. Here are 2 more bug reports: FB13006620, FB12808549.

I just got this warning too, in Xcode 15.0 (15A240d) on macOS Sonoma 14.0 (23A344):

ld: warning: building for 'macCatalyst', but linking in dylib (/Applications/Xcode-15.0.0.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa.tbd) built for 'macOS'
ld: warning: building for 'macCatalyst', but linking in dylib (/Applications/Xcode-15.0.0.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL.tbd) built for 'macOS'

Still getting this, on Xcode 15.1 beta (15C5028h) and macOS Sonoma 14.0 (23A344).

I am also experiencing this also in Xcode 15.0 (15A240d) on macOS Sonoma 14.0 (23A344) Running on M1Pro

This a showstopper as I can no longer compile the app!

Building for 'macCatalyst', but linking in dylib (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa.tbd) built for 'macOS'

Building for 'macCatalyst', but linking in dylib (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL.tbd) built for 'macOS'

This a showstopper as I can no longer compile the app!

I recommend that you, or one of the other folks hitting this problem, open a DTS tech support incident so that one of my colleagues can look into this in more detail.

Share and Enjoy

Wondering if there is any progress on this? Is there a DTS Tech support Incident? - It seems to be a pretty critical issue - I am experiencing the same problem.

@gaTim: I've filed a a DTS. The engineer believes it is a bug. ("We believe this issue is a bug.") There was an option to continue the DTS by asking them to find a workaround. I did this as I have low confidence in a fix arriving anytime soon in Xcode (the newest 15.1 beta 2 still has this problem). I will post the workaround when/if I receive one.

I'm getting the warnings too, but I was able to build with the warnings and I've submitted the binary to App Store Connect. There were also some other gotchas that I had to resolve. The Mac build was linking to my watch app where it never did so before. I had to go into the build settings and click off the Mac dependency.

I have the same problem with a MacCatalyst app that has been running for two years I can no longer run the app, does any one have a update?

Im getting the same error.

I am getting the error also on XCode Version 15.0.1 (15A507)

ld: warning: building for 'macCatalyst', but linking in dylib (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa.tbd) built for 'macOS'