How to create a package file for distribution. (How to re-sign)

I am facing the below problem.

I do not provide distribution certificates to development contractors. Therefore, the development contractor cannot create a signed package file for distribution. I will not be provided with source code by the development contractor. Therefore, I cannot build from the source code and create a package file for distribution. In this situation, can I obtain the binary (ipa file?) from the contractor and create a signed package file for distribution?

Also I found this post on this forum (https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/717503)) • If the client is happy to add you to their team with appropriate privileges, you can send them a distribution-signed .ipa and they can upload it using Transporter. That’s a relatively smooth path.

• If not, a common practice is to send them a development-signed .ipa and have them re-sign it. This is a very rocky road and I recommend against it. A better option is to send them an Xcode archive (.xcarchive) and have them submit from there. They have to install Xcode, but that’s not too hard.

>A better option is to send them an Xcode archive (.xcarchive) and have them submit from there. They have to install Xcode, but that’s not too hard.

It is recommended to use .xcarchive. For this method The development contractors creates an .xcarchive file from the development certificate and provisioning file. Can I use Xcode to create a distribution package file from the development .xcarchive I receive? If possible, could you please tell me the specific steps?

Replies

It is recommended to use .xcarchive.

That’s what I recommend (in the post that you referenced).

For this method The development contractors creates an .xcarchive file from the development certificate and provisioning file.

Yes.

Can I use Xcode to create a distribution package file from the development .xcarchive I receive?

Yes.

If possible, could you please tell me the specific steps?

Load the Xcode archive into the Xcode organiser and then follow one of the distribution workflows it supports. To start off, just double click the archive in Finder and it’ll open in the Xcode organiser. Then click Distribute App and follow the desired workflow. For more on this, see Xcode > Distribution.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"