App Store OS versioning rules for watchOS apps

have a watchOS app and it’s iOS counterpart in the AppStore. For now, my app support iOS 15 and watchOS 8.

The next version will make a huge step forward and only supports iOS 17 and watchOS 10.

I have a question :

If someone has an iPhone on iOS17 and a watch on watchOS 8, will the AppStore update the app ?

It will be incompatible as the new iOS app won’t work with the old watchOS one.

I hope the AppStore won’t propose the update in this case to avoid impacting users with a modern iPhone and an old Apple Watch who can continue with the previous app version. What’s your advice ?

Accepted Reply

After checking on real devices: iPhone on iOS17 and Apple Watch run-in watchOS 9, I confirm that App Store don't install the new version if both minimum OS requirements are not met. So it's handled perfectly well.

Replies

If you release an app update that supports iOS 17 and watchOS 10 as a minimum, then the App Store won't offer the upgrade to someone who's iOS device and watchOS device don't match the minimum requirements.

So, no, the App Store won't let someone upgrade the main iOS app if the companion watchOS app isn't going to be supported.

• That's good, I was really afraid to break app for people using an old watchOS. I haven't seen any clear documentation about that, so that's why I am wondering.

Add a Comment

After checking on real devices: iPhone on iOS17 and Apple Watch run-in watchOS 9, I confirm that App Store don't install the new version if both minimum OS requirements are not met. So it's handled perfectly well.