Europa : PWA or A2HS in standalone no longer works

Hello, since the last iOS 17.4 Europe update, and since the implementation of new rules for default browsers, PWAs no longer work. In fact, they are nothing more than shortcuts for internet pages, so this makes the application unusable, which could not necessarily be launched in install mode with notifications. I tried looking for changes but couldn't find them. I think it's linked to the fact that you can install applications from the web from a marketplace. If anyone has a solution or the same problem. Thank you

• I build PWAs for a living and I’ve been answering the phone all day from pretty frustrated customers. Today, the new Commotio social platform was officially launched in the Netherlands, and their PWA was not functioning on the majority of the iOS devices. Pretty sour.

• Same here. I also build a PWA for living. And now on the iOS devices the PWA does not have a app-like experience anymore. Why?

Add a Comment

Replies

I just installed the iOS17.4 beta and was indeed surprised by this. I certainly hope this will be fixed because PWAs are useless now!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of trie Down vote reply of trie

Same here, I installed iOS17.4 beta and PWA not working.

Same issue here. This is highly problematic. Hopefully it will be resolved in following betas.

I simply change the language and region out side of EU. It back to normal.. Like web app... Maybe because my friend was bought in hk... But I got new iPhone 15 pro max from Germany.. With ios 17.4 even I changed the region. That still doesn't work... Not sure where the problem is.. I need the web app.. Don't want open Safari all the time

PWAs seem to be switched off deliberately in Europe, so I don't have much hope for the everyday user for the future. You have to switch to an Apple-ID outside Europe and they work instantly, so it seems there is no different firmwares and the features for EU required by law are just activated as soon as you use an Apple-ID from an EU country.

Same here, I installed iOS17.4 beta and PWA not working

Just installed iOS 17.4 beta 2, no change...

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of trie Down vote reply of trie
  • Is it the same situation with iOS 17.4 beta 3?

Add a Comment

We just re-tested this. For some unknown reason it seems to work now. Existing shortcuts still open wrong, but a newly added one works fine. Even opening an old shortcut and re-adding it to homesceen seems to work.

Can anyone verify / are you experiencing the same?

it works now, without updating !

Confirm, it works on my iPhone 14Pro iOS 17.4 beta 2

For me it is still not working.

Unfortunately it seems like it was just a glitch while Apple was releasing beta 3. At least it's now back to the same sad situation (for me at least).

• つまりiOS 17.4 beta 3では解消しているということですか?(PWAが機能している)

Add a Comment

I noticed that „notification in window“ now is „true“, if the (former) web app opens in Safari on iOS 17.4. On iOS 17.3 it is not. A bug or somehow a hint?

Hi,

To learn more about developer changes in the European Union, please see "Why don't users in the EU have access to Home Screen web apps?" within the "Developer Q&A: Changes for apps in the EU" section listed below:

https://developer.apple.com/support/dma-and-apps-in-the-eu/#dev-qa

Best,

Paris

Very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad choice! Having Adobe Flash feelings again....