high kernel_task cpu after about 20-30 days of uptime

I have a 14 inch 2021 macbook pro, 32gb, running Sonoma 14.2.1.

After 20-30 days of uptime, kernel_task starts to use about 100-250% cpu. On my last reboot, kernel_task had used 100 hours of cpu time with less than 30 days of uptime, suggesting an average usage of 13.9% cpu average for the entire 30 day period.

Looking on the forums, I see others complaining about high kernel_task cpu usage related to thermals or external monitor usage. I do use an external monitor, however in my case I see no correlation between either temperature or monitor usage and the kernel_task cpu spike. Running the fan in full blast with Mac Fan Control does nothing, and neither does unplugging the external monitor. I also tried switching the usb-c cable to the right side as has been suggested, no success.

I've also seen many threads where apple simply responds to reboot and see if the problem persists. For me a reboot "fixes" the problem, but it always comes back 20-30 days later, so this is not a fix. I'm fairly certain this is a kernel bug that apple needs to fix instead of just telling people to reboot more often...

Replies

Is there any chance that any code that you wrote is involved in this? If not, there’s not much we can do to help you here on DevForums, where the focus is mainly on helping folks write code for Apple’s various platform SDKs.

It sounds like you’ve already looked for help with this issue on Apple Support Community, run by Apple Support. Beyond that, my only advice is that you file a bug about. Make sure to include a sysdiagnose log, because that’s key to investigating issues like this.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't realize this was the wrong place, I saw old forum posts here about it and nobody back then indicated that this was the wrong place to ask. I'll ask in the appropriate channels.

Add a Comment