CopyCat Rejection - what documents are required to verify that the app is mine?

Hello.

I've tried a dozen times to upload my app, each time getting a response that the app was rejected due to 4.1 copycats.

The most recent response:

Guideline 4.1 - Design - Copycats.
This app or its metadata appears to be misrepresenting itself as another popular app or game already available on the App Store, from a developer's website or distribution source, or from a third-party platform.

On my requests to clarify what exactly was identified as copycats, no specifics were given to me. Because of this I conclude that it is not about some stock images or sound assets, but that it is specifically about my application (name and icon).

I am the solo developer of the app and it has been available for 5 years on Google Play. No other platforms have my app on them, only Google Play. Since Apple has not provided me with specifics about what they need as proof of rights to the app, I have screen recorded my personal Google Play Developer Console account, which proves that I have all the necessary rights to manage my app on Google Play.

To this I received the following response:

Guideline 4.1 - Design - Copycats

This app or its metadata appears to be misrepresenting itself as another popular app or game already available on the App Store, from a developer's website or distribution source, or from a third-party platform.

Apps should be unique and should not attempt to deceive users into thinking they are downloading something they are not.

We did not receive sufficient documentation.

Please help me understand what documentation they are talking about if I am a solo developer with every right to my own app. Do they want me to register a company and register the naming rights to my app?

Replies

if I am a solo developer with every right to my own app.

I don't think that's the point. You could be a solo developer, having fully developed the app but have designed it very similar to another app.

Or your app name or visual appear too similar to an existing app. The fact that it is on another store does not matter for the reviewer.

Have you searched the appstore for such similar app ? Once you have found you could either modify your app or try to explain to reviewer why it is not copycat (more difficult).

• Hello. There is no similar application, as all graphics were drawn from scratch for my application (it is a pixel game). When searching by name also nothing similar was found.

About the name and icon: I tried to change the name of the game to a random one, as well as the icon. And still got reject because of "4.1 copycats".

Add a Comment

I got a response from the App Review Department, they said that the "4.1 copycats" issue no longer applies to my app. I guess everything is fine now (for now).

Hello, sir! Could you kindly assist me in resolving this problem? I'm experiencing the same issue and would greatly appreciate your help.

• Hello! Sorry for the late reply. I would say that the solution to the problem depends a lot on the type of your app and the content it contains. In my case, I think they finally realized that I'm a real app developer because I recorded a video of me using the Google Play Console clearly showing that the app I'm trying to upload to App Store is there.

For some guesses it is better to look at your app (by name, if it is in other app catalogs or on youtube).

• As I checked your other post on the forum, you answered "yes" to the question "Do you have the same app on the Play Store?". I suggest you to record the video clearly showing that you have an access to the Google Play Console and that the app is there. This video should be attached to the "App Review Information" section when uploading the build, and also when you submit an appeal to App Review Team. I want to suggest you to be patient and hope for the best, as the situation resolves randomly...

Add a Comment