Change App name on the store

Hi,

I would like to modify App name in the store.

If I change it in the app's back office, do I have to change something in the application code or something else ?

Thanks for your feedbacks

Best regards,

Accepted Reply

Hi snathan,

The minimum change you need to make is to the App Name field on iTunes Connect. The bundle identifier cannot be changed, so all builds with that bundle identifier will still be linked to the newly renamed app.

The next change would be to change the display name in the project settings, which will ensure that the app's name on the user's device matches the app's name in the store.

The final level of changes would be to change the project name, and any class names that referenced the original name (if any).

If the name change is significant but the functionality is not changing significantly, then the App Store won't have an issue.

But if the app has been released, and the name change is significant and the functionality is significantly different, then the App Store will tell you to submit under a new bundle ID.

• What is "significantly different functionality" defined as?

If I keep the original functionality but add new funcitonality such that the original functionality is now just a small part of what the app does, would I be able to keep the original bundle id.

The reason I want to keep the original bundle id is that I want to try and persuade users of the original app to upgrade ...

Add a Comment

Replies

Hi snathan,

The minimum change you need to make is to the App Name field on iTunes Connect. The bundle identifier cannot be changed, so all builds with that bundle identifier will still be linked to the newly renamed app.

The next change would be to change the display name in the project settings, which will ensure that the app's name on the user's device matches the app's name in the store.

The final level of changes would be to change the project name, and any class names that referenced the original name (if any).

If the name change is significant but the functionality is not changing significantly, then the App Store won't have an issue.

But if the app has been released, and the name change is significant and the functionality is significantly different, then the App Store will tell you to submit under a new bundle ID.

• What is "significantly different functionality" defined as?

If I keep the original functionality but add new funcitonality such that the original functionality is now just a small part of what the app does, would I be able to keep the original bundle id.

The reason I want to keep the original bundle id is that I want to try and persuade users of the original app to upgrade ...

Add a Comment

Hi rjuniyer,

Thanks for your answer.

Other question, the goal is to change description in the app store but not in the app name under the icon on the homepage's device.

What field I have to change to do this ?

Best regards

Hi rjuniyer,

I work for a media company and we now host several events each year.

We started with an app for a single event that was technology focused.

We are planning to expand to one other event this year. Before expanding to additional events, we are looking into consolidating our event apps into a single app to load whichever event the attendee needs at the time…

However this was pretty far down our roadmap. Now however, I’m looking at the recent policy changes and it appears like I might need to do this sooner.

After we had first used a commercial one time use app for the first year we hosted our technology focused event, we had built our own with the intent of updating it, making it easier for our prior attendees who’d only need to update their app.

I would need to completely overhaul the app as it exists, renaming, rebranding the icon and default load screen, etc. All the original functionality would be there (upgrading to Ionic 2 from Ionic 1 however) once within that events section.

Should we just go ahead and create the new app and submit as a new bundle ID or would it be better to update our existing 1 app to the new unified event app?

Also, since we only have 2 events, while their base functionality would be quite similar, is there any option for us to keep them separate a bit longer? I’m a solo developer working on several projects and this will add a lot of development time that we haven’t planned for far sooner than we were ready for.

Is there any way to point app users of our previous app to a new unified app if we do submit it as a new bundle? This might be the best solution but I don’t know of any way to accomplish this.

The majority of our attendees are not the most tech savvy (even for our technology event, which is more a learning event for our industry), and so we’ve tried to keep things as simplistic as possible. One of the highlights we posted of our new app this year was that it would be an updating apprather than requiring new app download each year like the commercialized product we purchased the first time.

Cheers,
Pete

The minimum change you need to make is to the App Name field on iTunes Connect.

Is this advice still current? I am looking at the iTunes Connect page for my app and I don't see any way to change the app store display name.

@ MattiasMartens Yes, but you would need to create a new version number and then you can change those settings.

I have admin role to my company's App Store Connect account. Just yesterday I submitted a new version to be published, and we wanted to change the app's name on App Store. But on the new version details page on App Store Connect, there was no field for app name where I can change it. Other fields like version information, description etc are open as usual.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Can I have different name on Mobile and Appstore? For example: AppName by CompanyName (on appstore) after installation: AppName (in mobile)

I don't believe you can have a different name for the same language localization, but you can for different languages. To change the app name, In App Store Connect, click on your app name, then App Information under the General section.