Pls fix m1 chip issues with external monitor hidpi

Can apple pls, pls, pls, tell me when can you fix the problem of m1 chip not support hidpi on external monitors? Or do you even aware of this problem?

I've been using mac for a long time, and i was able to connect to a external monitor with high resolution and good size fonts using 3rd party softwares, like one-key-hidpi or rdm.

However, now with your latest m1 chip, none of them work anymore. Now i can either use a high resolution with ant size fonts, or i can choose big font size with blurry displays resolution, which is very annoying.

so, are we going to fix this issue? or is there any workaround for this?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of superbro919 Down vote post of superbro919
84k views
  • I'm facing the same issue. Please fix this ASAP.

• As a reminder to everyone who is unhappy about the current situation with HiDPI and does not want to use BetterDummy: Apple is not watching this thread. They never will. The only way to reach them is to contact them via the Apple feedback form Apple Feedback form According to the Apple Care Senior person who I talked to in the last days this is the only metric that is actively monitored/watched to improve their products. The form literally takes one minute to fill out. Thank you all!

• i feedback to the support team but no one answers me about this problem. mac os 12.2 released but still i have screen flickering, low quality screen only because i use apple silicon chip. why me and many others must have bad experience but apple and support don't care about it. the only solution is not let this topic get down. we should tell them every day that we have problem. that's the difference between apple products and pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

Yeah +1 to this. Really irritating issue as my display is blurry when scaled.
I have a Dell U4320Q Display with 3840 x 2160, but i can't use it with HiDPI with my new Macbook Pro (M1). The M1 can only 3008 x 1692 with HiDPI.
With my older Macbook Pro can i use the full resoultion with HiDPI.

Thank you for the fix.
  • 3008x1692 is fine for me on a 32" display. The bizarre part is that I have 2 32" 4k monitors connected, one slightly newer than the other, but in one of them that resolution is unavailable, but it works in the other.

Add a Comment
This issue is nearly killing me
Our company wants to switch all computers from PC to Apple, but because of this problem, it has been unable to do so.
  • Better stay with PC's.

Add a Comment
I support this request. I also can't use external Dell monitor with HiDPI mode.
Any updates?
I've run into this same issue.

I recently replaced a 27" Retina iMac with an M1 Mac mini. Attached to my iMac, I had an LG 27" QHD display that I used as a "magnified" HiDPI display by driving it at 1280x720 (native resolution is 2560x1440). Emails listed in my viewer window on the built-in Retina display would open onto the external display in a magnified view, with beautiful font rendering thanks to the HiDPI display resolution. Any time I wanted to see things with a "magnified" view, I'd just drag it over to the external LG display. The iMac did this running Big Sur without a hitch. When the M1 Mac mini came out, I decided to upgrade and pass along this iMac to my girlfriend.

To the M1 Mac mini that replaced it, I connected (via Thunderbolt 3) a new LG 27" 5K display that I ran at 2560x1440 (native resolution is 5120x2880). This worked just fine. What did NOT work was trying to drive my other LG display (connected via HDMI) at a HiDPI resolution of 1280x720. The mini would drive the second display at it's native resolution of 2560x1440, but not at the pixel-doubled lower resolution. This is a problem for me because I really grew to love the "magnified" lower resolution given some visual challenges (retina detachment, multiple eye surgeries, etc.).

Calling into Apple Support about this, I got the issue elevated to a second-level support person with whom I've been working for a few weeks now. Through him, I've submitted log files and screen captures from the new M1 Mac mini showing how it would not support HiDPI on the LG 27" QHD display. We also sent log files and screen shots of this same monitor connected to my old 27" Retina iMac, happily driving it at the HiDPI 1280x720 resolution. Through a number of long phone calls where we documented everything, including my particular visual needs, we put together what we felt was a very good case that this should be considered a bug that needs fixing.

Just heard back from the second-level support person with whom I've been working... (drumroll please!) Apple Engineering has said that they now consider this a bug and are committing to fixing it with a future software update. No guidance on when, but I have my fingers crossed that we'll see a fix within the next rev or two of the Big Sur OS.

Moral of the story: if you can (time and patience is required), find a path to work with Apple Support to get issues recognized as legit bugs. This can only happen if you work with them over the phone so that they can REALLY document the problem. That effort, at least in my case, has its rewards.
  • Any follow-up or update regarding this bug?

• The bug is still there. No proper scaling on my mac mini m1 + 2K display. It is interesting that it seems working fine on my son's Mac mini m1 + 4K display. Looks like 2K is just not good for these new macs. have to go either with 1080p or upper - to 4K/5K. I don't think Apple is going to "fix" it. What is the share of people using 2K today? I don't think much. Most Mac users use either 1080p monitors or built-in retina (on MacBooks) or 4K/5K displays on iMacs, or (growing number of users) 4K external displays that are mostly in the same price range as 2K displays today. Just go to any electronics store and you'll find plenty of options for FullHD and 4K monitors, while much fewer QHD. Thus knowing Apple's approach, they won't even care

Add a Comment
Thanks for the update @LongTimeAppleGuy

I, like you, completed the entire Apple Support process and upon completion, after many hours, like you, felt vindicated in my resolve when I was told Engineering is looking into it. That was three months ago.

I have since which time lost my resolve and my communication with Apple Support.

I, like you, continue to hope that Apple does address this significant issue, but I would not say I am hopeful.
Also having this problem and it's causing my company to hold off on purchasing Macbook Air laptops - they won't dock to external monitors in a friendly way.

Honestly, it's almost insulting to consumers that Apple doesn't bother to include native capability to support external monitors like other vendors do.
I have same problem, I hope with many reports, Apple will fix this in the next update OS.
It's been 3 or so months since Apple acknowledged this issue - it's a shame there's no progress. I feel like I should return my M1 MBP.
Same problem, 3 months of headaches now, working with double setup of 2xQHD monitors on my m1 mac. Everything is so annoyingly small.

Can it be fixed already ?
Apple please step up and fix this issue already! we are all completely devastated and dissatisfied with the M1 macs until we can't get a fix for this issue. PLEASE SHOW THE SUPPORT TEAM AND ENGINEERS THIS! Escalate the issue to @Craig Federighi if you have to but this issue cannot be left unfixed as it renders 2k monitors useless
I have two 2k monitors. Bought M1 Mac mini with high hopes and now feel devastated.
Same problem using a Wacom Cintiq 24 pro. “Native version” is a blurried scaled up full hd screen, and at full resolution as you can imagine ui is unreadable. A 2k€ device now barely usable: apple please fix this. Thank you
  • I have a Dell 4K usb-c Monitor and because of that annoying issue i have to work only in Windows. Probably Apple doesn't care about Macbook and MacMini M1 owners that doesn't have Apple Thunderbolt displays, and for that reason I am planning to sell my M1 Macbook. Another annoying issue is the compatibility with usb-c monitor hubs. You have to plug and unplug usb-c cable after reset/shut down to make it work again. The same monitor, with the same cable, work just fine with every other windows computer.

Add a Comment