altool fails with "The auth server returned a bad status code"

Hi All, Trying to validate some altool credentials, produces this error message.

"Failed to get authorization for username '<username/>' and password with errors:( "Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=0 "Status code: 0" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Status code:0, NSLocalizedFailureReason=The auth server returned a bad status code.}")

This is returned when altool is called in the following way.

xcrun altool --notarization-history 0 -u <username/> -p <password/> --output-format xml

macOS 11.2.3 and Xcode 12.5

Things that have been tried already.

• Making sure the Apple system status page shows no issues.
  • Different networks.
  • Checked to see if any agreements need to be "activated".
  • Recreated the app-specific password multiple times.

Any other suggestions?

@Quinn - Hi Quinn, it's Sam Rowlands (again) and this is with another App Wrapper customer experiencing this issue (so not me directly).

Replies

same for me, stopped working today

Same issue here. I tried creating app-specific passwords to no avail and tried using a different developer account in the same org as well. We had a successful app build using xcrun altool --upload-app 9 days ago. Did something change in the past week?

Same for me. I was working for years. Looking forward to hearing about the news here. Thx!

Same problem this afternoon. I also tried with a new app password but doesn't change anything.

Facing the same issue on our CI. Five hours ago all builds were uploading fine.

Also seeing this exact same problem ("The auth server returned a bad status code") since at least 17 Feb 2023 02:10:00 -0600 (CST). Sounds like Apple's servers are having a meltdown.

Same problem for me since about 12h: Nothing changed on the CI, upload using xcrun altool --upload-app stopped working. Creating a new app specific password did not help.

Have the same problem today. App specific password stoped to work with the error: Bad status code: <MZWebServiceDAWTokenForUsernameAndPassword: 0x1420177c0> *** Error: Failed to list providers. *** Error: Failed to list providers. Failed to get authorization for username

Having the same issue too.

So I had the same failures yesterday (Feb 17), but as of 5:52am GMT on Feb 18th, 2023, I was able to use altool to notarize again successfully using altool. So maybe it was a temporary glitch.

Tagging @eskimo and previous posters below so maybe they'll get a notification.

@rowlands @mateofp @derekdkim @molnardavid84 @dpo1 @NickNikonenok @sbnoble @steven7 @tien6b0 @Johnny7531

There was a glitch in the matrix notary service on Friday. It’s actually listed on our Developer > System Status page.

IMPORTANT This only affected folks using altool. If you’re still using altool, make a plan now to switch to notarytool. It’s better, stronger, and faster, and will continue working beyond the end of this year. For more information about this switch, see WWDC 2021 Session 10261 Faster and simpler notarization for Mac apps.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Actually, I checked the Developer System Status page and it shows available at that time.

Add a Comment