XCode 14 compile errors immediately disappear or do not appear at all

I'm unable to use XCode 14 to develop my app because as soon as a compiler error is shown, it is immediately withdrawn from the Issue Navigator pane. This makes it impossible to see what is wrong. The errors are also immediately withdrawn from the editor.

This video shows 3 attempts to compile the project: after the first attempt no error shows, after the second attempt the error shows for a moment then is automatically removed (no mouse or keypress from me), after the third attempt same.

https://youtu.be/bmK_k6oLYpQ

I have tried rebooting, and deleting ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData, to no effect.

• Did you try to suppress the warning about iOS 9 which is no more supported. Set the deployment target to iOS 11 , then try again. You can also have some information in the build log.

• In my case project min level is iOS 12 so that's not it

• Facing same issue, Seems Apple not having UAT team at all for Xcode, Always full of bug

Replies

I'm having the same issue in the work project, but on personal projects Xcode works fine (same machine). I'm sure that there's some configuration issue somewhere making this trip (we use Cocoapods with ~20 dependencies on the work project). I haven't been able to find exactly what's going on, any tips are much appreciated!

• So, sudo gem update xcodeproj is not helping in your case?

• I am wondering how exactly that Ruby gem affects the Xcode build system that gets invoked as source files are being changed. In particular whether it hooks into the standard Xcode services or build scripts in some way.

Add a Comment

I'm getting this too, on 14.1 RC2. Errors flash-up in the Issue Navigator, then vanish, leaving you with a failed build and no clue as to why. These last couple of Xcode builds have been virtually unusable. Can someone at Apple PLEASE look at this urgently.

Same issue for me, build errors immediately disappear

• Same issue here for multiple members of our team. Large modularised codebase, SPM based.

Seems to be indexing related. Some errors will show (greyed) for a short time, until an editor is opened on the affected file. Video available

Add a Comment

Same issue here for multiple members of our team. Large modularised codebase, SPM based. Seems to be indexing related. Some errors will show (greyed) for a short time, until an editor is opened on the affected file. Video available —  robb_albright less than a minute ago 

I am seeing the same problem with Xcode 14.1. It is very annoying.

Have to use Xcode 13 because of this problem. Xcode 14.1 in Rosetta mode doesn't have this problem but is too slow. Especially for big projects.

Still happening in 14.1. I feel like Xcode 14 and iOS 16 is the most botched release yet.

I think I found the cause of the problem, on my system anyway...

After a bunch of digging around, I found that the case of the folder associated with the XCode group containing my source code didn't match the case on the file system. (ie. the XCode group "Weather" was associated with "/Users/....../Weather" but the folder on the file system was called "/Users/....../weather".)

When I used the little folder icon in the inspector to re-associate it with the folder, the case was corrected and whammo all my missing error messages suddenly reappeared.

I'm guessing that at sometime along the line of XCode 14 betas, it started caring about case sensitivity, so my project file that used to work fine was now incorrect as far as the linter was concerned.

So: Check that the case of the folders associated with your XCode groups match the file system, and use the little folder icon to correct it if they're not.

Hope this helps!

• Seems to be working : setting the group "Name" to the underlying folder name did the trick when groups was associated with a folder. DO not forget to clean all issues and build folder and restart Xcode .

• Renaming back works for me too. I renamed a group folder and after that I got the same problem. I renamed the folder back and the issue goes away.

• Thank you thank you thank you! This was the issue for me for my root project folder

same in osx ventura 13.0, and now can't open Xcode 13.4.1, this looks like a joke!!

I’m experiencing the same issue on Xcode 14.1, and previously on Xcode 14.0.1 both on Monterey and Ventura. I didn’t find any solution on line so tried to experiment a bit with Xcode settings, and on my computer and my current project this two changes seems to solve the problem:

• on Settings… panel Behaviors, select “Build”, “Fails” on the left and set Show Navigator Issues on the right
  • on Settings… panel Source Control, clear the “Fetch and refresh server status” flag

I’m aware these don’t seems directly related to the problem, but here this changes appears to work, so I’m posting this suggestion hoping it could help someone else. Let me know. 

Same issue here, reported by most developers on a 80+ person team.

Has Apple acknowledged this issue yet?

This is an error in the native version of Xcode, if you try to open Xcode through Rosseta, the error highlighting is correct again.

Add a Comment

Xcode -> Preferences(command + ,) -> General Tab -> Uncheck Show Live Issues.

Cheers!

• Wow! Thank you so much - this indeed works. You're losing the live errors though, but if you don't have any - it doesn't matter

• This worked for me!

• its worked. Thx

Did anyone figure out fix for this error on Xcode 14.0/1? Please share! Very annoying!

Is there seriously nothing being done to address this issue? Using Rosetta doesn't help, and neither does unchecking show live issues. The IDE is on the border of being unusable. This needs to be fixed ASAP!

• This is really annoying, no fix for this yet from Xcode 14?

Add a Comment