iOS 17 apps still require 5.5" iPhones screenshots?

I find odd that the App Store Connect still requires 5.5" iPhone screenshots of the iPhone 8 Plus, given that this specific phone is no longer supported by the latest release: iOS 17.

I am well aware that the iPhone SE still has a similar screen ratio, and that it is still being supported by iOS 17, but it doesn't have the same pixel requirements (1242 x 2208), which means that in order for my app to be even reviewed (which is an iOS 17+ exclusive), I'm gonna have to create images that will then be upscaled to the right dimensions.

Am I missing something here, or is it Apple who missed this detail?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of 1amChris Down vote post of 1amChris
6.6k views
  • Thank you for posting this… I thought I was losing my sanity… agreed and am now of the belief Apple has missed this!

• My resolution: With Photoshop, I took a screenshot from my iph images, and resized the image to the 5.5”. It worked for submission, but it’s obvious that’s what I did when viewing the image. It would seem no one is “looking“? :)

• I have tons of screenshots because of 6 languages with about 8 screenshots each...so resizing is not an option. Besides...it is pointless since the app with iOS 17 will not run on those old devices. Apple, you need to fix this 'cause beginning April they do require new submissions being iOS17+!

Add a Comment

Replies

I have the same problem -- I have an app version that is iOS17 only and there is no device / simulator with a 5.5 inch screen that runs iOS17 anymore. That makes generating screenshots for the app store more difficult as there isn't a device with these dimensions that can actually run that app.

Should I stretch image for unsupported 5.5 devices in iOS 17.0? Apple What do you want

Same issue here

I got the same problem.. Hope they fix it soon

Same issue here. And I have also been getting error when trying to upload appropriately sized images.

Would be great to have this issue solved!

Just went to upload my screenshots as well, this is a pain as my app requires iOS 17 and no there is no 5.5" display available

Same problem - Apple how is this intended to be handled?

Same issue here. My app has just been rejected because of it. This is very frustrating.

Hi, I used the App Image Size (free in App Store with advertising) to resize 2 or 3 images. I put the photos in the store and the photos were accepted. The App cut some parts of the photo but it works.

Yes, I'm running into the same problem. Very frustrating and Apple needs to update this. I'm wondering if they still require 5.5" screenshots for those apps that are still backwards compatible for older devices? But I would love it if they could make this no longer required because I'm not sure who still owns an iPhone 8 Plus, or iPhone 7, etc...

Same issue. Very silly of Apple 🍏

What a massive oversight.

I have the same issue. My new App supports iOS 17 (and later). How shall I create a 5.5" screenshot. There are no old devices or simulators with 5.5" display supporting iOS 17...

in xCode, go to Product > Destination > Manage run Destination

Click on Plus button and select OS version > Download more Simulator Runtimes

Add new iOS and and start download iOS 16.4

last thing just add new iPhone 8 plus and it will select iOS 16.4 automatically

• Adding an iPhone 8 Plus w/ iOS 16.4 won't work for an iOS 17-only app. So currently there's only a Photoshop-based solution.

• I mean use iOS 16.4 for iPhone 8 Plus you don't need iOS 17 at all 😐.

• @Salemaljebaly you do realize that there are apps that don't run on iOS 16.4, right? If you use the new observation framework, for example..