iOS 17 apps still require 5.5" iPhones screenshots?

I find odd that the App Store Connect still requires 5.5" iPhone screenshots of the iPhone 8 Plus, given that this specific phone is no longer supported by the latest release: iOS 17.

I am well aware that the iPhone SE still has a similar screen ratio, and that it is still being supported by iOS 17, but it doesn't have the same pixel requirements (1242 x 2208), which means that in order for my app to be even reviewed (which is an iOS 17+ exclusive), I'm gonna have to create images that will then be upscaled to the right dimensions.

Am I missing something here, or is it Apple who missed this detail?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of 1amChris Down vote post of 1amChris
7.2k views
  • Thank you for posting this… I thought I was losing my sanity… agreed and am now of the belief Apple has missed this!

• My resolution: With Photoshop, I took a screenshot from my iph images, and resized the image to the 5.5”. It worked for submission, but it’s obvious that’s what I did when viewing the image. It would seem no one is “looking“? :)

• I have tons of screenshots because of 6 languages with about 8 screenshots each...so resizing is not an option. Besides...it is pointless since the app with iOS 17 will not run on those old devices. Apple, you need to fix this 'cause beginning April they do require new submissions being iOS17+!

Add a Comment

Replies

just download iOS 16.4 and create new simulator iPhone 8 plus and it will select iOS 16.4 automatically, thats all.

I have the same problem. Because of SwiftData I can only use iOS 17+. Apple please create a solution here.

I target 17, there is no runtime to produce 5.5" screenshots, besides literally faking it, which seems very anti-spirit and nonsensical. Apple you have sent me 3+ emails on preparing my app for vision, including how to properly "frame" screenshots. I'll get on that as soon as I'm done uploading iPhone 8 Plus assets.

xoxoxo

I have the same issue :-(

Same issue.

Same here.

I have the same issue.

Same here.

Yeah, this is an Apple fail.

For my app it's relatively easy to proportionally resize to 1242px wide, then chop off the top and bottom bits until I hit 2208px tall, but I shouldn't have to.

I'm having the same problem as everyone else, but I want to raise an additional concern.

It is my understanding that the iPhone 8+ image will only be shown to users with a device that has that aspect ratio. So that means that only users of iPhone 8+ or earlier will see those screenshots. BUT, since the app required iOS 17+, they can't run the app.

So providing the screenshots is essentially a case of BAIT AND SWITCH. By supplying the screenshots, the App Store is implying that the app is available when it is not. I don't want to speculate on Apple's motivation for doing this, but it makes ME look like the bad guy here. I don't think I should take the flack for this.

What do you think?

So that means that only users of iPhone 8+ or earlier will see those screenshots. BUT, since the app required iOS 17+, they can't run the app.

The app store won’t let you buy apps that the device won’t run.

I think no-one will see these screenshots. Has anyone tried just uploading a single blank image of the right dimensions?