MacOS Sonoma: Spotlight Issues - App Indexing

Has anyone else experienced issues with Spotlight losing indexing of the Applications?

Spotlight no longer displays any applications in the results when typing in an application name.

Additionally it appears to be ignoring the settings of "Spotlight" set within the preferences. Example: I have "Websites" & "Siri Suggestions" turned off, however these still appear in the search results of spotlight.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of mc.Baer Down vote post of mc.Baer
9.8k views
  • Yeah, same issue. tried re-indexing. still nothing. In fact Does the 'applications' folder in the user profile have anything to with this problem perhaps?

• PS, I uninstalled the one drive app today, and spotlight is working 100% again. Uncertain if it is related, but thats the only only change in my software environment.

• Since updating to Sonoma, Reminders app search returns null results for items I can see in the list before typing. After reindexing SSD in M1 MBP it can now search up to 1 text character, but very unreliably. As in if I type B .. it will bring up some items. If I add additional characters found in items in the list: null result. Most letters get a null result even if they are the first character of items in the list ... bizarre how broken this is.

Any ideas for a fix other than reindexing HD?

Replies

So, Sonoma 14.3.1 and it is happening to me as well.

New fix: Toggle FileVault off and back on (or vice versa). For whatever reason, this seems to fix the Secure Token issue and seems to last weeks, if not months.

• Thanks for the fix!!! I was stuck for months... Admin session and Mobile session logged, so I needed both passwords to enable and disable Filevault, and... Spotlight immediatly works again !

• Works on my macOS Sonoma 14.4. I toggled FileVault on and off though.

• Just a quick note: since the Sonoma 14.4 update, I've had to do this whenever the system reboots. Annoying, but better than before, when I was rebuilding the index through a local admin account every time I logged in.